• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

VirtualBox vs VMware Player

Started by fox, September 02, 2019, 05:01:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

I found an excellent YouTube video comparing the two running with Ubuntu 18.04 as host. Which is better seems to depend mainly on whether you need to run applications that require graphical acceleration or not. Unfortunately, the video didn’t cover the drag and drop function of moving files between host and guest. My experience has been that it’s pretty poor on VirtualBox (up to version 5), but I haven’t tried it on VMware Player. Harry, you might be able to comment on this.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

buster

Most distros supply open-vm-tools and open-vm-tools-desktop in the repositories. These are designed for vmware use, and I'd bet the vmware company helped with the code for this software.

I've never found, partly with lack of use, any comparable point and click method to get full screen and drag and drop easily in VB.

The ONLY distro I have found without the open-vm-*** software is PCLinuxOS.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

I thought this video was helpful, too. Saw it a few weeks ago, I guess. One other thing the video also mentioned was that VirtualBox lets you do do system snapshots. You have to get the paid version of VMware's software to do this. Snapshots can be really handy if you make changes you think might mess up the OS or if you just want to experiment. You can make a snapshot and then easily rollback to a previous version. Or you can keep multiple snapshots with different configurations.

I haven't tried drag and drop on either so can't really comment on this.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13