• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Use an iOS or Android device as a Raspberry Pi monitor

Started by fox, August 25, 2019, 05:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

At our last PLUG MUG, we needed a monitor and Jason had to lug a 24" monitor to Tim's so that we could see what was happening on the pi. Suppose, instead, that you could use an iOS or Android device, in particular, a tablet, as your Pi monitor. Well apparently you can!

Here is an example of how to set this up on an iOS device; you can Google for similar instructions for an Android phone or tablet. It requires the Pi and the tablet/phone to be on the same wifi network. In theory can be done at a Tim Horton's, but I don't know how well that would work. Jason, you might want to review these instructions and see if you think it could work at Timmies. Also, this might be a mini-topic for one of our regular PLUG presentations, if we have one featuring the Rpi.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

They probably have IP isolation at Timmies so I don't think their connection would work but we could certainly try. And I could also setup my phone as a WAP.

Anyway, it's just using a VNC client - you could do the same thing with a laptop. But I never thought of doing it with a tablet - that would definitely be more portable.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

I just thought of another possible problem doing it at Timmies. You have to start by getting the IP address of the Pi. We could get these at home, connected to a monitor, but wouldn't it change once you change your internet connection to another location? If so, we would need a monitor to get it at Timmies. At minimum, that would require Bill's projector and a piece of cardboard to project it on.

What got me thinking about the use of a tablet as a monitor is that I ordered a lightning to HDMI cable for my iPad so I can connect it to a video projector. But then I realized that this would mirror the image on the iPad to the projector screen and we want to go the other way with the Pi.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Yes, it would change IP addresses. I think that Timmies also uses a 10.x.x.x based address as well.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13