• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Error upgrading GNOME Application Platform to version 3.34? [SOLVED]

Started by Jason, October 13, 2019, 01:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

I kept having this error updating the above package in Kubuntu (see topic name). Probably the first time I've ever had this error in a Linux, a package that needed an update that wouldn't process. Very Windows-like. My Kubuntu install works fine; it's just an annoyance especially since it's been going on for a couple of weeks. I'm hoping the suggested solution here works.

Okay, so that solution didn't work (at least not more than half a day) so I moved this topic to Support. Anybody else having this problem?

And yes, I'm using Plasma so no idea why the Platform version is even needed. I'm going to check to see if there are GNOME applications I can get rid of so the update isn't needed.

Update: Finally realized my topic subject was confusing people and I updated it. It was trying to update the GNOME Application Platform, not the GNOME desktop which I never had installed. I realized this later.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

That's pretty annoying, but it isn't the first instance I've heard of on (U)buntu installations where one desktop environment conflicted with another. I have heard of similar problems with Gnome and Budgie, and in the past I got minor issues when I installed Plasma into Ubuntu. (Though it did, at least, install.) One thing you could do is wait until 19.10 is released because Gnome 3.34 is part of it.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

buster

just clarifying - This is a kubuntu install with a Gnome desktop superimposed?

Does a straightforward Ubutunu install have the same problem? I've never had the same luck with additional desktop environments added to the original. Kubuntu is designed for plasma. Ubuntu is designed for Gnome.

The maintainers' primary task is to keep the primary environment operating smoothly. The other stuff is secondary for Kubuntu.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

Quote from: buster on October 14, 2019, 12:56:40 PM
just clarifying - This is a kubuntu install with a Gnome desktop superimposed?
No, it's just Kubuntu with Plasma. There might be a GNOME application or two although if there is, I haven't found it yet. That's part of why it's so confusing. I've never installed GNOME on this distro. Good question.

Thanks for mentioning the connection between 19.10 and Gnome 3.34, Fox. Maybe that means there is hope this will be fixed by the final release or when I upgrade to Kubuntu 19.10 (or perhaps a fresh install will be necessary).
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

fox

I'm pretty sure that Kubuntu works like Ubuntu as far as upgrading goes. I have never had to reinstall Ubuntu to get the latest version, and have never had a disaster with the updating mechanism. I've been doing the upgrades going back to, at least, 8.04.

Jason

It's not that I'm worried about the upgrading not working - I agree with you, it pretty much works as advertised, it's that if this problem doesn't disappear after upgrading, I may do a re-install in the hopes of making it go away.

buster

I use Kubuntu 19.04 with Plasma all the time in virtual - main Linux system. Haven't seen anything like that. Did you upgrade to get to 19.04 from a previous version? Mine's been here for awhile, but pretty sure I installed it clean.

No notices ever like yours.

Jason

Quote from: buster on October 15, 2019, 12:50:01 PM
Did you upgrade to get to 19.04 from a previous version?

Nope. Though I have done that before, this was a fresh install. I can only think that some app that requires Gnome libraries included it.

Can you do a search for GNOME Application Platform on your Kubuntu install using the package manager of your choice for me?

I'm curious if it's on a default install, regardless of the update showing up. I notice that if I click info on it it says:

Shared libraries used by GNOME applications and then lists the libraries it provides. Since they're not apps, I'm unsure of how to find the actual apps that might be using one or more of them. Interestingly enough, the platform is provided (at least for me) as a Flatpak.

Jason

I don't know why I didn't try this before - I uninstalled the GNOME Application Platform. It removed the listing for the update for it but time will tell if it's really gone.

I believe I was afraid to do this before in case it broke other packages. But really a good package manager shouldn't do this, even with Discover, which I know you guys hate.  ;D Also, I use Timeshift so it's easy enough to revert if I break something.

fox

So were you then able to install Gnome 3.34?

buster

Can find no trace of GNOME Application Platform installed or not. Using Synaptic.

Jason

Quote from: fox on October 16, 2019, 06:56:12 AM
So were you then able to install Gnome 3.34?

No, not sure why I would?

I removed the GNOME Application Platform, not the GNOME desktop which was never installed. The Application Platform is a set of libraries. It must have been installed as a dependency for some GNOME application that I later removed.

Hasn't come up again so far (the update that wouldn't install) so perhaps removing the platform itself fixed it.

Jason

Quote from: buster on October 16, 2019, 11:14:03 AM
Can find no trace of GNOME Application Platform installed or not. Using Synaptic.

Thanks. I suspected that.

Jason

Removing the presumably old GNOME Application Platform fixed the problem. The update to the package didn't come up again, I'm guessing because it wasn't yet available or some glitch with the move to 19.10 repos, maybe? No idea what caused it or why the update process for it wouldn't work.