• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Arriving soon:Further Adventures with a 10 Year Old Desktop

Started by buster, August 16, 2019, 09:15:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

The release date is still under negotiation while advertising, late show appearances and book signings are being set up. But meanwhile, to whet your appetite, here are two excerpts from the new story.

"Parking spots are hard to find, and once in the crowded store its like an Xbox game"

and

"but the gardener sees that the defeated aphids have infiltrated again under the cover of darkness"

So coming very soon, Further Adventures with an Old Computer.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

fox

You might still be an Old Commuter, but I hope that the adventure story will go back to the more entertaining Old Computer. :)
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

buster

Thanks Mike. Let's hope the rest goes a bit less sloppily.

Jason

Those quotes are curious in that I can't see what they have with your new story but that's a good hook in itself.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

BOOK REVIEWS OUT TODAY IN NY TIMES!

Four reviews of Further Adventures with an old Computer have been published today in the New York Times Book Review section of the Saturday paper. The reviews, based on copies sent to typical reviewers for the Times, were mixed. Here are excerpts.

Stan Hardson, author of Plain Talk for the New Society, wrote

What a waste of paper! Anyone who can handle the language in a clear, succinct manner could have reduce this to 15% of it's length! Reading this keeps you away from accomplishing things that need to be done. What's all this canoe stuff? Does he think he's bloody Walter Shakespeare?

Winthrop Morville-Gainsly, editor of the magazine Poet's Haven, wrote

What a wonderful jump from the first release! This sequel  shows Buster's growth into a mature, powerful writer for our time. The flowing prose, the perceptive insights of the human condition, the strong emotions that we feel viscerally as we read his work moved me very much. I would love to meet and spend some time with this man who has found his true writer's voice.

Kirk Steelman, writer for Field and Stream, wrote:

I was flabbergasted.

Hui Yin Tao, whose newly translated book How to Make your Young Son a Computer Genius will be published in America in 8 weeks, wrote:

I see Buster in coffee shop when good son buy laptop. He very old and hairy, but while sip special tea, see deep levels of charm in him. When he younger would find meet him great blessing. Powerful writing make me want to share journey with him. But time not shine on us. Sadness.

fox

Hui Yin Tao is obviously a keen observer of the human condition. At least the old and hairy part.  ;)
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

ssfc72

Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

The first, short chapter of Further Adventures will appear tomorrow. Mostly it's just an intro to the 6 stage trip. Final chapter will be Saturday.

Tomorrow - Chapter One: Accepting What's here or Voyaging on?