• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Paypal

Started by fox, August 05, 2019, 07:47:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

I don't remember who I had this discussion with at a recent PLUG MUG, but it had to do with a problem I had with a laptop battery replacement I bought on eBay. The battery was bad, but I didn't discover this before the 60 day eBay guarantee period. The seller wasn't willing to do anything for me other than give me a $5 refund on a $38 purchase (and let me keep the defective battery). When I contacted eBay, they indicated that they couldn't do anything for me because it was past the 60 day period, but they asked if I had purchased the item with Paypal, which I had. They suggested I go to Paypal because their guarantee is 180 days, which I did. I registered a complaint online and had to wait two weeks for the seller to respond. The seller never did, and yesterday I received notice that my full purchase price was being refunded. The person I dealt with when I phoned Paypal explained that they can do this because they have ongoing accounts with sellers. Their agreement must cover the complaint process (I never looked because I don't sell on eBay). At any rate, if the decision goes against the seller, Paypal simply deducts the money from their account. So it doesn't cost Paypal anything either way.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

ssfc72

I am glad you posted this Paypal benefit, Mike.  It is very good to know about the 180 day refund coverage and I might start using Paypal again, when i purchase something on ebay.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

Bear in mind, Bill, that the seller didn't contest. I don't know how frequently a seller won't contest, but I suspect it's often with the big sellers, as they just can't be bothered. I suspect that when the seller contests, Paypal will try to arrange a compromise. In this case, all I asked for was that the seller either ship me another battery or give me $25 of the $38 back (to save me the cost of shipping them back the bad battery). So I got better than I asked for; a full refund!
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Glad it worked out for you. I imagine that credit card companies can refund too although I have no idea how many days it goes up to. 180 days is really good.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13