• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

An Amiable Charlatan - audiobook, very good

Started by ssfc72, July 17, 2019, 03:38:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

https://librivox.org/an-amiable-charlatan-by-e-phillips-oppenheim/

I found this to be a very good audiobook ( free download) about an American "Adventurer" and his daughter in London, England.  The man gets his kicks out of palming people's valuables and he gets a young Englishman (who likes his daughter a great deal) involved in his "Adventures".

I would put my headphones on at night and listen to the audiobook and the next evening I would try to guess where about in the audiobook that I fell asleep and try and continue on, listening to the rest of the audiobook. It took me quite a number of days to listen to the whole book. :-)
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

That's my problem with audio books, depending on the time of day, I either fall asleep or my mind wanders. Btw, does the Lindsay library offer audio books? My wife listens to them all the time through the Peterborough Public Library.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

Yes, the Lindsay Library has audio books, ebooks and some movies that can be downloaded from your home computer. There is physical audio, video media that can also be taken out, at the Library.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

I discovered that the Peterborough Public Library has some audiobooks that are installed on a cassette-like device. You sign it out, and all you have to do is add batteries and headphones. I borrowed one of these for a friend who is in the hospital.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13