• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Adventures with a 10 Year Old Desktop.

Started by buster, July 13, 2019, 02:26:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

Quick, image the hard drive to preserve that Win 10 install, before something breaks and you have to start from scratch, again!
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

Wow; that's quite a story! And written with the quality I would expect from a (long-retired) English teacher. Too bad that your dogged persistence doesn't extend to Linux and/or the use of the command line. If you can get Windows 10 to run on an old machine, I'm sure you can install a Linux distro without a virtual machine and maybe, just maybe, you can copy internet-downloadable text onto a command line to get it to work. :)

Now that you've got readers, you're going to have to follow this up with something interesting.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

buster

"And written with the quality I would expect from a (long-retired) English teacher."

Thank you.Very kind of you to say that, though for most of my career I was a mathematics teacher. I did teach the grade 13 English class for years while I taught math 9 to 13. I was fortunate in my career to have both subjects - each, in my opinion, makes the teaching of the other easier and better.

As for the command line: You should know that I am a missionary for The Church of the Mouse. Any technologically challenged souls will find comfort in the arms of the Sacred Mouse.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

Congrats on your victory! Entertaining to the end. Next season you must do a Linux edition of your story.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

Jason

I think to get Harry to use the terminal, we'd have to log him in a room with a computer without a GUI until he installs ones using a set of written out instructions in the terminal. And all the beer or wine he can drink, and snacks. It'd be like an escape room but the door won't open until he installs a GUI and presses a certain button present in it.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

fox

I like the idea! How about at the next formal meeting in September?  ;D

buster

I am shocked to read such intolerant religious views expressed openly in Canada! Maybe in a place like Alabama it would be expected. But being a born-again Mouseketeer is difficult enough with its sacred but very strict rules of behavior, without having to face the fear of abduction and confinement.

fox

It's called deprogramming, Harry. It's for your own good.

buster

'It's called deprogramming, Harry. It's for your own good.'

That's good Mike! Took me by surprise. I hadn't anticipated that response.

buster

'Adventures with a 10 Year Old Desktop' Footnote

The problem with sound in the virtual machine could have been caused by a conflict with the older win 7 OS and the latest VMWare, or more likely, by my impatience. However, never with multiple hosts and various vm distros had I ever experienced this problem, which I did resolve with Win 10. Here are the variables involved which makes a series of choices almost bound to be wrong:

Linux distro:

There is a mixer to configure, sometimes as simple as increasing the volume.
There are two choices for source of sound with mine.

Windows

Again, source for sound, usually done automatically, but in this case...

Computer

...there are two sources of sound in this computer, the original sound card, and the HDMI signal through the video card. Plugging speakers into the original sound card switches off things that now require making different software choices.

VMWare

One Brit on the Internet said that with VMWare, the default is 'sound off', which I don't think is true. So in my case I needed to go into the software's sound options, choose my source, and then click 'Connect Sound'

TV Monitor

Sometimes the less than brilliant Buster would have turned off the TV speakers, and forgotten,  and as a consequence none of the attempts made at that time worked.

But it seems to work nicely now.

Jason

Are you really objecting to beer and wine, Harry? Never has captivity been so good.

buster

As an end to this thread, I'd like to show this picture of Peppermint, playing a Toronto jazz singer, in VMWare, in Win 10, on an old computer, with only 3 gig of ram.

Note: As long as nothing else is running, this is manageable. However...

Click the picture to see see the clarity.

ssfc72

Very nice clarity of the Desktop!  I always did like the Peppermint distro.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

buster

Footnote 2: ram

If you look carefully at this picture (click to enlarge) you will see 8 gig of ram. Courtesy my favourite son. The motherboard seems to downsize the ram possibilities because of its limitations. Even so....

Noting the limitations of the cpu when doing multiple thing in vm and win10 simultaneously.

Not sure there is such a thing as independent 100-1000 Ethernet connectors for wiring in. The ethernet connection is built in to the motherboard, as it is in most cases.

ssfc72

Sooo! Harry, at the beginning of this topic you said the CPU was 3.5 GHz.  I see that the Win 10 screen shot shows the CPU as 2.8 GHz.  Was the 3.5 GHz a typo?

Quote from: buster on August 01, 2019, 03:54:16 PM
Footnote 2: ram

If you look carefully at this picture (click to enlarge) you will see 8 gig of ram. Courtesy my favourite son. The motherboard seems to downsize the ram possibilities because of its limitations. Even so....

Noting the limitations of the cpu when doing multiple thing in vm and win10 simultaneously.

Not sure there is such a thing as independent 100-1000 Ethernet connectors for wiring in. The ethernet connection is built in to the motherboard, as it is in most cases.