• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Upgraded my SSD drive

Started by Jason, June 30, 2019, 12:35:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

So I finally upgraded my 64 SSD which was getting a bit cramped with both Windows 10 and Kubuntu on it. I bought this Kingston drive with 480 GB for $76 from Amazon (free shipping). Still blows my mind how cheap SSD drives have gotten. I bought it last month but hadn't gotten around to installing it because I knew I'd have to transfer files and was considering ditching my RAID 10 setup so I knew there would be a fair bit of work. Decided to worry about the RAID stuff later and just upgrade the SSD.

I didn't want to reinstall everything so I was going to go straight to Clonezilla and then though, hmm, I wonder if there is any nicer graphical tools for Linux (or at least support Linux partitions). Couldn't find anything specific to Linux but Macrium Reflect supported cloning Linux partitions, too and has a free version. It's a Windows program.

Problem was that Windows couldn't see the drive. Realized it probably wasn't formatted, I used WIndows Repair from a Win10 install flash drive and formatted it as suggested by Kingston. Booted up and it still didn't see it. Didn't even show in Device Manager. Weird. So I though, okay, going to see if Linux sees it. And sure enough after booting up Kubuntu and running KParted, it saw it. So figured, screw Windows, going to do it with Clonezilla.

Cloned drive to drive and it worked easily and fast, not that there was a lot of data to transfer. Of course, Clonezilla didn't size up the partitions so I booted with LM and used gparted to resize the partitions. Changed the boot order and it started up with no errors. Didn't even have the issue with UUIDs that Mike has mentioned before.  Used Kubuntu and Kparted again to re-format the 64 GB drive and then later pulled it out as I promised Dougal could have it.

Funny how much easier things are with Linux. I guess WIndows doesn't have such great hardware compatibility.  ;D
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

Glad to hear, Jason. When you say you didn't have the UUID problem, mine was specific to booting up the new drive when the old one was still connected. At least in Ubuntu, the Grub setup specifies the UUID and if two partitions have the same UUID, that's how it gets mixed up. Were both drives connected, do they both still have same UUID, and does your version of Grub specify location by UUID?
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Yes, they were both connected when I booted up with the new drive. That's how I booted up in the new drive and re-formatted the old one. And both grub.cfg and fstab files refer to UUIDs. I never checked to see if they had the same UUID but I doubt it. The old drive is no longer connected so I can't check. I'm guessing that it was remapped although maybe that's something that Clonezilla changes now or grub reconfigures on the fly.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13