• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

June 3rd, Gentoo and it's already starting with a bang.

Started by cod3poet, May 27, 2019, 05:56:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

I really enjoyed the evening before and during the presentation. I must complain that too many in the audience said openly that they would not be willing to give up family, food and sleep to install Gentoo. Where is the spirit of learning, of dedication, of riding, admittedly at a snails pace, into new lands?

I will also openly complain that there was too much banter and laughing, too many comical remarks, too much self indulgent enjoyment when we should all have been seriously taking notes for our own install of the tedious but important install of our own Gentoo.

Thanks Brian

Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

cod3poet

You sir added so much to that conversation I am extremely grateful. It was interesting to take a deeper dive past the technical and get more into the dare I say "philosophical" reasons for approaching software from a source first approach albeit a curated and managed approach.

But even still when I got home there were many more steps to complete, and just when I thought I was ready to reboot into my fresh gentoo environment I was left with a quandary. Because I chose a single volume partition and did not split boot. It will not boot which means no family time food or work until I get it resolved. Either that or hit the oops button and hunker down for another 6 hours to start it all over again.

ONWARD!
Arch, Windows, Ubuntu, MacOS. In that order. (Definitely 04/2023)
Ryzen9 5950x/128gb/2tbNVME/8TB(Current)Win11
8th gen i7/32gb/1tbNVME(Current)Arch
Macbook Pro 16/2021 m1/32gb(Current)Work
Comptia CNSP / Azure Devops Eng Expert / VMware Certified/ Sec Automation Engineer / Senior SRE

buster

Monday was a lot of fun!

If Gentoo consumes this much time for you to install, with what you know, probably I don't have enough years of life left to get my install up and running.

You wrote, "and hunker down for another 6 hours to start it all over again". In that time you could also, instead, from my experiences, install 18 other Linux distros
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.