• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Peterborough Public Library - Linux Format magazine

Started by Jason, February 19, 2019, 12:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

I thought I had mentioned this before but can't find any reference to it.

Anyway, the Peterborough Public Library has Linux Format magazine from the UK available for online reading. Go to PressReader.com and choose to login with your library and library card info. Or if you're on a phone or tablet, download the app and use it.

The February issue, available now, has an article on Linux Mint and security but just browsing through it looks like lots of good stuff including tutorials. I think that the library only keeps the most recent issue of the magazine. There are lots of other computer and technology magazines available as well.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

fox

I just signed on and got the magazine through PressReader. It took my library account as Jason suggested. Interestingly enough, I got the April edition of Linux Format. Chapters only has the March edition at the moment.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

ssfc72

Unfortunately for me, the Lindsay library does not appear to have PressReader.
I was able to sign up for a free account, on the PressReader web page, but I would have to pay money to read the Linux Format magazine. :-(

However on the Lindsay library webpage, there is a ton of free magazines  available through a service called Flipster.  The PCWorld magazine is one of many top name magazines, that can be viewed online.
You can also download the magazine, for reading offline.  There is a Flipster app that you can install on your cellphone, to read the magazines or download them for offline reading.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Sorry about that, Bill. It wouldn't be worth it just for the one magazine but non-residents of Peterborough can buy a membership with the Peterborough Public Library. It's $45 a year normally. But since you're senior, you can get a 1-year membership for $25.

https://www.ptbolibrary.ca/en/membership/library-cards.aspx#OutMem
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

ssfc72

Thanks for the info, Jason!  I hadn't realized that seniors would be able to pay only $25 for a year membership.  That is a good deal.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

I wasn't aware either until I looked it up. It used to be $32 flat-rate which amounted to the subsidy the library received from the city.