• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Samsung Galaxy Tab E's Google Play Services App Wont STFU!

Started by buster, June 08, 2023, 04:09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

A very nice lady asked me to fix her six year old tablet that has always run well.

And it seems to run well except for one little problem. About every 8 seconds a message pops up in the middle of the screen, and not unfortunately a wee little message in the corner - centre screen,blocking whatever you are doing. Touch the screen anywhere and it goes away, only to reappear after 8 seconds.

There are nine suggestions on an excellent site:
 https://cellularnews.com/mobile-apps/google-play-services-keeps-stopping-fixes/#clearcache

I tried seven of them. Left is an attempt to go back to initial factory software, which may prove to be impossible because of the Google Services malfunction.

Has anyone done this? And is it straightforward though tedious?

Harry, who is far too old for this kind of stuff.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

ssfc72

My guess would be to do number 9 on the Linked website, a factory reset. Only if you can back up the device, like it mentions.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Factory reset may be the only way to go. My worry here is that there is a trojan on her phone that can cause all kinds of erratic behaviour. Something that messes with Google services definitely sounds like such a beast. A security or other update could cause such behaviour (not that I've ever seen it) but being six years old, it's unlikely to have received one recently. Malware could also be cloaking as Google services or responding to broken/disabled malware. A factory reset will get rid of any malware, too. If she's been using backup on the device, she can get back her data but I'd suggest NOT to restore the apps as part of that backup.

I'd strongly suggest that after you do the reset install the Bitdefender Free app. It uses very little resources and just sits in the background. It has never slowed down any of my devices. It only scans programs when one is installed, not when it's run so it makes it light on resources. Bitdefender has a stellar reputation in the IT community for the detection of malware across devices. and their free app doesn't nag you.

There might have been a time when not using antimalware on an Android device was okay. With the thousands of Android apps that are found every month that is actually cloaked malware, it's easy for someone not sophisticated to install it. Someone like that or running such a relatively old tablet in tech circles definitely requires antimalware as it's no longer getting security updates.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

So if both Bill and Jason suggest a reset, we all know it's the best way.  :)  Hope to do it on the weekend. I'll get back to you.

I intend to discard all apps and data - she has almost nothing to worry about on the tablet. So it should be totally clean.

buster

Was buying discount printer ink and talking to an acquaintance who owns the place and had seen the problem with the Google Play Services App.

He suggested when the updates were done with the factory refresh, the problem may reappear. It's possible the latest Services App update will be incompatible with the old software that runs the tablet.

I think it's unlikely, but possible.

The drama continues.

Jason

I'd suggest she apply the updates one at a time then. Then she'll know specifically what caused it. Btw, you can remove updates just like programs, at least with built-in services like Google services and then use manual updates and not update it. Did this problem suddenly happen or been going on for a long while?
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

buster

"Did this problem suddenly happen or been going on for a long while?"

Just showed up. The tablet became unusable immediately.

It's a good thing she is friends with Harry the Hero, solver of problems and generally all-round good guy. But I must say I could not spend my life doing this - I would drink even more than I do now. But I feel positive. This shall be solved or my name isn't Ralph.

Jason

Quote from: buster on June 09, 2023, 06:44:30 PMIt's a good thing she is friends with Harry the Hero, solver of problems and generally all-round good guy. But I must say I could not spend my life doing this - I would drink even more than I do now. But I feel positive. This shall be solved or my name isn't Ralph.

Lucky she is, indeed.

Jason

Btw, let me congratulate you on using your first internet abbreviation (in the topic title). If you want to get someone or a computer to STFU, you need to RTFM, have a few LOLs, and BYOB (less technical there), IMHO. But YMMV.

buster

So when the Maiden-in-Distress arrived for the final stages of the recovery of the tablet, I could tell she was admiring my dark shades and cape, though she didn't say anything. She just smiled, I'm pretty sure admiringly.

Everything had gone well with the reversion to factory software and the tablet was fit and quick. The Internet app had updated with no trouble, but I couldn't add the software because we had no password. Correction. We had many passwords but none worked. So the Gmail account password had to be changed, but this proved fairly easy to wade through. And the library app was added, and two games.  Enough for now. Everything was double tested and it all worked.

When she left, I gave her a stick of silver ram, my calling card. She smiled again, and almost laughed because she was so happy to have her tablet back. When the door shut I could see myself in the large mirror. Even I thought I looked impressive - subtle, not too flamboyant.

The Caped Solver had prevailed again. Today's work was done.

ssfc72

Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Quote from: ssfc72 on June 11, 2023, 03:35:51 AMGood work, Khemosabe! :-)

I thought he was a superhero but the reference to silver suggests you're probably right.

Good job all around, Buster. Be careful, the ladies have been known to fall for the guys that fix their tech.

buster

Do you think she might have been laughing for some other reason rather than her happiness from getting the tablet fixed?