• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Deepin DE to be ported to Fedora

Started by buster, February 17, 2019, 11:13:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

Sort of interesting how deepin seems to be sliding into the Linux universe. Their interesting desktop environment is being ported to Fedora.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/DeepinDE

Found this in Distrowatch.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

Thanks, Buster. Looks like a cool endeavor that you can already try out if you have Fedora 30 (alpha or beta?). Deepin's desktop environment is quite classy looking. But I do find their package manager (in Deepen) off-putting. But I'm guessing that part won't/hasn't been ported.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

The Deepin Desktop has now been ported to Ubuntu in the form of a respin: UbuntuDDE. I posted something about this today.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Cool. I liked the look of the DE but wasn't that impressed with Deepin. There were parts like the package manager that weren't in English. And some of the parts didn't look integrated. And I don't really understand why so many distros have to offer their own versions of common software rebranded as something else. For example, the Deepin media player. Is that a part of the UbuntuDDE?
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

fox

I don't think they include the rebranded Deepin software, based on this post.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Thanks for checking. It's weird that the person mentions it'd be better if they had the Deepin software instead of the Gnome software. AFAIK, the Deepin software is pretty much the Gnome software except with maybe some slight mods and the name change. Their package manager is different though, I believe.