• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Improving Gnome Desktop as a 'Where's Waldo' Game

Started by buster, February 07, 2019, 04:30:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

Because my friend Dr. Mike really likes Ubuntu Gnome, I decided to give it another try and apply the rule that using a distro continuously makes it easier to solve problems as they come up. And as in other cases this turned out to be true. The desktop I hated became not so bad, and then pretty good, and then attractive and convenient. And as everyone knows, the install is easy and perfect, and with the addition of some software I prefer, the system works really well in virtual. I am using 18.04.1.

NO TERMINALS!

Puzzle #1. How do you get single click instead of double click to open stuff?

Puzzle #2. How do you use the supplied file manager so it can function as if it has a split screen? (Opening a second window is verboten.)

Puzzle #3. How do you accomplish auto-login?

Please do not post answers. Just post that you solved 1,2 and/or 3. PMs are welcome.

After a while, the answers will be posted, if anyone is interested in playing Waldo Does Ubuntu.

Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

Just curious why you downloaded 18.04.1 instead of 18.10? Do you prefer the LTS versions?

Also, are you using regular Ubuntu? As far as I can tell Ubuntu Gnome is a discontinued flavour of Ubuntu. Note that vanilla Ubuntu is (slightly-customized) Gnome now, just wanted to clarify.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

Just downloaded Ubuntu long term, and it looks like Gnome to me. :)

fox

Waldo here. I have solved the puzzle and all three are possible in Gnome. My prize should be an admission from buster that Gnome is a better desktop than Plasma. :)
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Quote from: buster on February 07, 2019, 10:38:00 PM
Just downloaded Ubuntu long term, and it looks like Gnome to me. :)

It is Gnome-based (which I mentioned above) but my point was that there used to an actual Ubuntu Gnome flavour (like Kubuntu, a separate distro) which I thought was still available until now.

Anyway, "better" is really pretty subjective. I think it all depends on what you like in a desktop. AFAIK nobody has done a side-by-side comparison of KDE and Gnome to see which features one might have that the other doesn't. Even look-wise you can make KDE look almost exactly like Gnome though I don't think that works the other way.

But I'm going to try your challenges. And as a side note, Mr. MIke, I'm pretty sure that Buster already knew they were all possible or he wouldn't have said to not to post the answers :)
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

Jason

#3 can be solved by choosing this option during the install. Probably not the answer you were looking for but wanted to point out that it's a super-easy one if you plan ahead :)

Jason

Don't know #2 and couldn't figure out but the others were easy.

buster

#3 can be solved by choosing this option during the install."

Generally the case with many installs. But with this iso that I got, there was no live version to start with, and a super efficient quick install - place, name, password, and off we go. Used vmware.

So I went looking, and solved it. But this morning I found the easy way to do it, and feel embarrassed just a wee bit.

buster

Checked all 7 of my Linux installs.

Mouse: Most popular place to look is in the file manager's  preferences - MX, Lite, Mint, and deepin. Mageia hides it in System Setting's hardware. Suse has it as the default. Gnome has it in plain sight, if you know where to glance, which I finally managed.

Auto-login is easy in all. Use such things as MX Tools, Settings, Administration, Accounts. Each is sort of unique but easy to find.

Split-screen: Plasma wins by a mile. It's right in the file manager 'view' - Mageia, Suse and Mint get an A. MX and Lite I don't think can get it because of xfce's lightness. Deepin split-screen defies my searching. Gnome has a usable substitute that gets the job of moving files done.

Jason

I thought the puzzles were specifically for the Gnome desktop using Ubuntu since that was the topic. Anyway, when you're not sure where something is, I suggest using search either at the program launcher if available or in the search specific to settings for your choice desktop.

I still want to know how Mr. Mike did the split screen in Gnome. I'm using Ubuntu 18.10 and couldn't find that feature.

buster

These are skills that are only taught to the exceptional students, such as Mike and myself. Though he may be bluffing, Harry did figure it out though, and the answer can come say tomorrow? Unless anyone wants more time?

fox

Quote from: Jason Wallwork on February 08, 2019, 07:31:47 PM
I still want to know how Mr. Mike did the split screen in Gnome. I'm using Ubuntu 18.10 and couldn't find that feature.
Easy as pie. Take the window of interest, click and hold on the top bar of the window and drag it to either the right or the left of the display. Once the mouse cursor hits the side, you can release it and the window will occupy that half of the display.  :)
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Sounds like you're bluffing, too, Harry. You said you found a usable substitute but that breaks the very rules you set :) But you did remind of a feature I like in Plasma. You should show my topic some love by mentioning the split screen there, too :)

Jason

Quote from: fox on February 08, 2019, 07:53:57 PM
Easy as pie. Take the window of interest, click and hold on the top bar of the window and drag it to either the right or the left of the display. Once the mouse cursor hits the side, you can release it and the window will occupy that half of the display.  :)

Buster said "How do you use the supplied file manager so it can function as if it has a split screen?". I interpreted that as, and it looks pretty true based on his puzzle answer to it, that he meant a split file manager. As in showing two windows inside the file manager looking at different folders. He also said you can't use more than one window.

buster

First I would never bluff on a puzzle. That is unfair to those working on it. Second, my solution does a couple of things. It gives you a pretty good substitute  for Plasma's wonderful spit screen inside the home folder, which is great for moving a pile of stuff from say Downloads into a new file in Music. And it does NOT need any other folders to be opened. Dr. Mike did not solve the puzzle. He found a solution to the process that mimics Window's method. which requires 2 distinct windows open to move files, unless the files happen to be sitting on the desktop.