• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Tecmint: 10 Most Promising New Linux Distributions to Look Forward in 2019

Started by Jason, January 25, 2019, 12:52:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

Saw a few distros in this article from Tecmint that were new to me so thought others might have the same experience. I also didn't know about Distrowatch's waiting list mentioned in the beginning of the article. However, the first few they've mentioned (I only checked the first 3) have already made it off the list in the 2 days since the article was written.

So read the article and tell us if it inspired you to try a new distribution.

There are several new to me but I'm curious about Void with how it handles processes and going to give it a try right now.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

I  have also used/tested some of those Distros mentioned in the article about the Distrowatch Waiting List (Peppermint OS, Sparky Linux, MXLinux, antiX ).

Now that I have the vmware virtual machine software installed on my notebook, it will be good to try out the newest version of antiX, which I haven't tried for quite some time.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

I tried out Peppermint years ago. It's internet-focused but very good. Default desktop is now xfce. It has an application called Ice that can be used to make "apps" out of sites you get to via a browser. In my case, for example, I want a Google calendar app; in effect an icon on my dock that gets me to my google calendar just by clicking on it. This used to be available in Ubuntu, but no longer is. On Peppermint, you "build" that app through ice - it's very easy.

I thought of using Peppermint as the second distro on my laptop, but went with MX Linux instead; mainly because it is so highly rated and I wanted to learn more about it. But I would recommend Peppermint; it's light and fast.

I tried Sparky once at Bob Foley's recommendation. He thought it might boot my 5k iMac when most other distros couldn't. Turned out that it couldn't so I never went back to it. It's not as nice, aesthetically, as MX or Peppermint.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13