• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Window resize dragging problem in MX Linux 18

Started by Jason, January 15, 2019, 07:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

I can try one. But we have a calendar on the wall that does all that stuff. I use a fair bit of pen and paper. But then I'm very old.

I'll see what I can do for a test of a calendar.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

It might not be related but resolution are you running at? I'm wondering if you're at at ultra-hd like 4k or something and it's hard to grab because the area is so small.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

Quote from: Jason Wallwork on January 17, 2019, 10:48:23 PM
It might not be related but resolution are you running at? I'm wondering if you're at at ultra-hd like 4k or something and it's hard to grab because the area is so small.
That makes sense, Jason, but I'm running at 1920 x 1080 on a 13" laptop. I don't have the same problem in Ubuntu/Gnome on the same laptop. As Harry suggested, the problem could be with xfce rather than MX Linux, as I haven't tried xfce on any other distro.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

buster

Mike wrote: "Alt-right key works sometimes to expand windows; other times it just moves the window."

Hmmmmm... As you probably know, in Linux, alt left click drag moves a window, alt right click drag resizes a window. Let me think....

buster

Mike wrote: "the problem could be with xfce rather than MX Linux"

It's a matter of minutes to put into MX a KDE option. Somewhere in the forum I put the easy instructions. DO NOT use Synaptic! There is a simple mouse click procedure to do this.

If you like KDE at all, this gives you a less frustrating way to test the distro.

buster

I just tried KDE. Seems harder to resize windows than in Xfce. Ah well. Worth a try Mike.

fox

I like MX enough to try some vm experiments. I downloaded it again and put it into a vm to see what happens to the window resizing function. I also added the Gnome desktop to that VM to see how that works. I saw a video on MX with Gnome here. Aside from possibly fixing the window resizing issue, Gnome has an online accounts setting that should work to make Gnome Calendar work properly with Google calendars, or perhaps to add the Google Calendar app itself.

First observation. Running MX live in Virtualbox (xfce). Resizing windows is somewhat easier, but then I'm using it on my 27" iMac, so a much bigger display. When I installed MX in the vm, it still wasn't super easy to resize windows; better than on my laptop but no better than in the live version in Virtualbox. Once I installed the Gnome desktop, the difference was apparent - much easier because the change to the resize arrow doesn't require nearly the same precision of lining up on the edge like in xfce. That is sufficient evidence for me to conclude that the problem is with xfce rather than MX Linux, although it is certainly possible that other distros using xfce have instituted a fix.

Incidentally, I was pleasantly surprised at how fast MX Linux is in a virtual machine, but then again, so is windows. The other thing I noticed is that drag and drop to and from host didn't work on a default installation. I had to download the Virtualbox Additions within the VM and install them (from a terminal). Then they worked.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Quote from: buster on January 18, 2019, 09:18:54 AM
Hmmmmm... As you probably know, in Linux, alt left click drag moves a window, alt right click drag resizes a window. Let me think....

Wow, learn something new every day. I did not know about alt-right-click for resizing Windows. It's not very precise but that's a cool alternative. I use alt-left-click a lot. Sometimes it's for when the OS misplaces windows and you can't see the top window bar to move it but other times just on lower resolution screens when the window is just too high to fit and you can't find the OK button.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13