• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Window resize dragging problem in MX Linux 18

Started by Jason, January 15, 2019, 07:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

NOTE: This was split from the MX Linux 18 topic. The question that Fox was having is quoted here:

Quote from: fox on January 15, 2019, 07:30:50 AM
I went back to my MX installation on my laptop and found that window movement was very difficult. When I get near an edge I want to drag, I get the briefest drag symbol, but it isn't stable and it takes a lot of precision movement to be able to drag the edge. (Much more than Ubuntu on the same laptop.) I can move the window or expand it to full screen without problem; only the resizing is difficult. Is there some fix for this?

Only thing I could suggest is slowing the speed of your mouse a bit and see if that helps. It may be that the default speed is faster than you're used to.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

Jason wrote 'slowing the speed of your mouse a bit'

That may do it. Though I've never had to do that once these things have occurred -

1. The open-vm modules have been installed.
2. The system has been rebooted a time or two.
3. The system is in full page on the screen.

Be interesting to see which does it. I'll bet Jason that this is not a problem on your virtual install.  :) I've only seen it in the early stages of setting up the distro in virtual.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

It isn't a problem on my end but I also don't have it setup as a guest in VMware; I installed it in Virtualbox.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

ssfc72

I am very impressed with MXLinux!
I was able to install WINE from the MXLinux software manager and WINE did show up in the mxlinux Menu and Wine worked very well in running the Windows MyExpress income tax program.

Mint 19.1 still does not put WINE in it's Menu, after installing WINE, using Synaptic.
You have to go to the terminal and run winecfg. :-(

Update -  I have clarified the note about installing WINE, in Mint 19.1
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

Anyone else experience the window dragging problem?
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

ssfc72

Resizing the MXLinux window is no problem on my virtual (vmware) MXLinux (Mint 18.3 Host) on my notebook, Mike.

Quote from: fox on January 16, 2019, 03:48:45 PM
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

So your mouse works fine now Bill, and the earlier problem, of grabbing sides of the window with the mouse, has disappeared?

Jason

That was Fox that was having the issue with mouse-dragging to resize windows, not Bill.

Jason

Quote from: fox on January 16, 2019, 03:48:45 PM

I haven't myself. Have you added the VMware tools (and checked for updates) as Buster suggested?

fox

buster

Mike, by any chance are you using a battery mouse rather than the touch pad? And second, if not using a mouse, can you find one and try it and see if the problem still exists?

I doubt you use the mouse, but I had a similar sort of problem a while ago and new batteries fixed it. Also the problem may be centred in the touch pad software or a bug. And in virtual with the modules, the problem may not exist. I believe you are the only one with a bare metal install.

And you can also try Jason's suggested solution of slowing the mouse down.

fox

I wasn't using a mouse but I just tried this with a plug-in mouse. It made it only slightly easier because clicking the mouse doesn't move the cursor like clicking a trackpad. But in both cases, the space for grabbing a side to move it was very, very small.

I've been exploriing MX for a bit today. I like what they've done overall, but I ran into one other problem besides the window expansion. Thunderbird has frozen on me three times.

The Conky options are very nice. I found one that displays battery percentage remaining (MX-LSD). Very helpful because the battery icon in the dock doesn'tcon show this unless you hover over it.

buster

Try this Mike.

Hold the alt key, right click, and drag.

No idea how to do this with a pad, but it works perfectly with a mouse. The window edges thinness  seems to be a Xfce problem. Tried it and it's easy and extremely cool.

buster

And Mr Mike, I also found it you go just inside the bottom right corner of a window, you can resize easily to your heart's content. No idea why this area gives a larger area to grab on to, but it resizes up and down, as well as left right.

fox

Alt-right key works sometimes to expand windows; other times it just moves the window. Working from the bottom right corner works in some apps and not in others. I wanted to add a calendar to MX Linux and had difficulty there. I couldn't figure out a way to add Google Calendar (except from the browser). I tried Gnome Calendar, but it didn't pick up my Google Calendar information and I couldn't figure out a way to do that. Harry, do you use a calendar app in MX Linux? Anyone else?