• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Deepin - Live iso?

Started by ssfc72, January 09, 2019, 08:53:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

Virtual in Win 10 laptop - testing ExtremeTuxRacer, with some snow and evening light.

MX Linux -perfect
Deepin - close to unusable.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

ssfc72

Neither of those 2 files shows up in Synaptic, when I follow your directions. :-(

Quote from: buster on January 14, 2019, 11:19:27 AM
Bill wrote:

"Took a lot of messing with the Display setting resolution, to get an acceptal high resolution.
Even then it wasn t quite right.
I did get mxlinux to run full screen.
I didn t do much other testing. ( MXLinux works very well from a usb pendrive, as a Live version)"

To make sure it runs full screen just as deepin does follow these simple steps:
1. While in MX Linux open Synaptic, and no other package manager.
2. Make sure you find the 'search' at the  top, not the one beside it, and type in 'vmware' and search.
3. Scroll down the results and find these two things and install them: open-vm-tools, open-vm-tools-desktop.
4. Maybe log out and in.
5. Try the full screen button in VMWare.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

Bill wrote: Neither of those 2 files shows up in Synaptic, when I follow your directions. :-(

However, see picture of Synaptic in MX Linux in virtual. Double check Bill

ssfc72

Nope, nothing comes up on my Synaptic.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

buster

You are inside MX Linux, and using SYNAPTIC, not the one called MX Package Installer??????

It doesn't make any sense to me. I couldn't get the files in the MX Packager, but they showed up right away in Synaptic.

Check the repositories and see which have check marks. I have checks on, counting down, 1, 3,4,5,and 8. Which I may have done out of habit after  my install.

Jason

You can also install the tools through the VMware menu (when you're inside a guest).

• Inside the guest OS (your VM), click on Virtual Machine -> Install VMware tools. It will be mounted as VMware Tools.
  • In that directory, extract the file that starts with VMwareTools in the filename and ends with .tar.gz. You will have to extract it somewhere else as this folder is read-only. I suggest the desktop.
  • Now in the uncompressed desktop folder in a terminal, run the vmware-install.pl file like this:
    sudo ./vmware-install.pl
  • You'll be asked a number of questions - you just need to accept the defaults by pressing <enter> repeatedly.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

Yes Jason, but using the software that the distro provides seems so much simpler. And when you find that the distro has these installed automatically, like most Ubuntu derivatives , everything like drag and drop works automatically.

Jason

I'm just giving Bill another way to do it since he hasn't been able to find the packages you're talking about, Harry. Any this method might not be as easy but it's really not hard. A trained monkey could do it.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

ssfc72

Sorry guys, this monkey has not been trained, yet. :-)

I realized, I was still running a virtual MXLinux as a Live version.
I have now installed MXLinux on the virtual hard drive.

buster

Do your update, which they call upgrade, saying yes to everything.

Now go to Synaptic  :) and look for the two files.

You will find the mouse works much better after you get that sorted, and put yourself into full screen. Everything works better with the guest software.

ssfc72

To keep this thread related to Deepin, I have posted my comments about the Virtual install of my MXLinux, to the MXLinux thread.

buster

Found out today deepin is based on Debian unstable. I thought it was based for the last while on Ubuntu. Live and learn.

And when you do a standard update of 15.8 and reboot, it says you're now in 15.9, the new release today. Rolling release.

fox

The new version apparently supports touchscreens.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Touchscreen support, interesting! I mean I think anything will support touchscreen minimally (like a mouse) but I'm guessing they probably mean multi-touch like with zoom and the like. I wonder if anybody else is doing this?