• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Deepin - Live iso?

Started by ssfc72, January 09, 2019, 08:53:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

It appears there is a Live version of the Deepin distro, on their web site, only.
Unfortunately the download is very slow and would take hours.

Has anyone downloaded this Live Deepin iso?  I want to use a usb pendrive to run Deepin, on, to try it out.
It appears to me the standard Deepin iso, will only do an install of the distro, to your hard drive.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

According to this article, you can make a live Deepin usb from the regular iso. At least you could when the version from that article was released (2014). I checked the regular Deepin website and you're right that it would take hours to download from that link.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

buster

"Has anyone downloaded this Live Deepin iso? "

Any downloads from the site are almost impossible. Torrents that you find should be 15.8 I think. Saw a live iso torrent during a search (that probably doesn't work anyways) that is way out of date - 4 years!. The whole underpinning of the distro has changed over the last few years.

The only way I can see doing it is installing in virtual, or on the hard drive. It is a very easy install by the way. Unless you let the live iso download run all night.

Maybe they discourage 'live' because it doesn't work very well.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

ssfc72

Thanks for the help, guys.
If i get a new desktop, with 12G of RAM then maybe i will try a virtual, install. :-)
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

fox

Bill, can't you just set it to download overnight?

Jason

Wow, really slow, even the regular ISO. What's odd to me is that I think every other distro I've seen uses mirrors to spread the access. They have 6 links to download (main ISO) and only 1 for the live distro. Are mirrors refusing to allow deepin on their servers due to worries about Chinese software? Or have they not even tried?

Btw, their main download is 2.3 GB and the live is 385 MB so I can't imagine it's representative of the main distro, it's probably like a netimage that you use to install the rest of the distro or very old.

Update: As buster pointed out there are, in fact, mirrors though they were put under the oddly name ISO Repository. Everybody else calls them "mirrors" so I didn't notice. But there is still only one place to get the "live" version, at least that is linked from their website.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

Lots of mirrors! See this.

https://www.deepin.org/en/mirrors/releases/

But I searched for a torrent on the web. Much faster for me.

fox

But if you look at what is distributed in the mirrors, it isn't the live distro.

buster

No, it doesn't, and I agree with Jason that given the small size of the live iso, it might not have much value for getting a sense of deepin.

Sorry Bill. But you are welcome to see and operate  my install if we ever get together.

By the way Bill, how much ram does your best computer have? I think I used to dedicate 2 gig of ram on my old computer, and it had 4 or 6 gig. It sees when you install in virtual, and asks you to shut down the desktop candy, which I tend to avoid anyway. So two seems lots.

ssfc72

I think my newer Dell XPS 13 inch notebook may have 8 G of ram, so i could try a virtual install, on it.
I Am running Lubuntu, on it, so i would use Lubuntu as the host.

Jason

Quote from: buster on January 09, 2019, 01:31:02 PM
Lots of mirrors! See this.

https://www.deepin.org/en/mirrors/releases/

But I searched for a torrent on the web. Much faster for me.

Thanks for the correction. I didn't notice them as they were listed under the oddly named "ISO Repository" on the page when everyone else just calls them "mirrors" or "alternative downloads". They call them mirrors in the drop-down menu though. I updated my post.

Btw, downloading it now to give it a shot and as you can see, the Princeton mirror is fast but it's not the live ISO obviously.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

Jason

Quote from: ssfc72 on January 09, 2019, 06:14:14 PM
I think my newer Dell XPS 13 inch notebook may have 8 G of ram, so i could try a virtual install, on it.
I Am running Lubuntu, on it, so i would use Lubuntu as the host.

That would be plenty. I used to run VMs back when I had a machine with only 4 GB of RAM. Many distros say they will run under 1 GB of RAM though I suspect you should set it to 2 GB or it will be pretty slow unless it's a really light distro (like Lubuntu ;) ).

Jason

If you use a torrent make really sure it's the same ISO file by doing an sha256sum against it. You might think I'm just being paranoid but it's way too easy for somebody to add their own files to a deepin ISO and create a torrent for it. If you're just playing with it or trying it out, that's one thing but if you are considering making it your daily OS, you should probably be careful.

Honestly, you should do the sums anyway. It takes under a minute, less if you can eyeball it quick.

ssfc72

Does the install of Deepin provide all the necessary codecs, to view various media, right away, from the initial install?  Similar to say, MXLinux.
If not, are the necessary codecs easy to obtain and install?

buster

I think you'll find all formats play. Things played for me anyways, including a movie.

I removed their office suite and replaced it with libre.

My drag and drop host-guest worked, as well as resolution. But I used VMWare and Win 10. If there is a problem with this I think I know how to fix it for you.

I wouldn't use less than 2 gig ram. I also use lots of space - typically 45 gig for the hard drive. And maybe 2 core of the cpu. But then I use them, not just test them.