• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Android tablet recommendation?

Started by ssfc72, December 30, 2018, 12:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

Since my wife is in hospital and bored stiff, i was thinking an android tablet with wifi, would allow her to easily browse the internet and listen to music, read or listen to an ebook.
A 10" tablet might be too big.
The user interface would need to be easy to use.
The tablet would have to be inexpensive. Battery life would need to be good.

Any recommendations on a good tablet?

Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

Depends on what you mean by inexpensive. We have used happily a

Samsung Tab A 8"

for I think about 3 years (?), and we find it easy and clear. But generally in Canada when purchased from a store you will pay over $200 as far as I can see. Then you will add a bit more to insert a wee USB stick for added storage. And you may opt for a cover. And all this has tax.

Lots of programs such as
Overdrive for downloading free books and audio books from library
Wordscapes, a word game that starts with extremely easy puzzles and works up as hard as you wish (addictive!)
Jigsaw puzzles
Various solitaires
Nice camera, and BlueMail is my email program, that can send your pictures,
and on and on.

When I use it it in bed I have an extension so it's plugged in. But I have used most of the battery during a rainy day. I also put movies and tv shows in storage to watch. I can also watch TV on it, because of Fibe, and if I choose, I can watch it from anywhere with wifi.

Don't know if it's one of the best, but it's what we use.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

fox

I'm still happy with my 8" LP gpad III. Much higher resolution than the Galaxy tabs A and E. Stippled back makes for secure holding, and I find it easy to hold it up with one hand for a fair period of time. Open box $249 from Best Buy; this is the gpad IV. You can get deals if you buy it with data from Freedom or Fido or Rogers.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

ssfc72

Ok, thanks guys!  That gives me a starting point.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

Jason

My wife has the Samsung Galaxy Tab E. I got it for her in February through a data plan with Virgin which was really handy when we spent the entire night in emerg. She really likes it and the few times I've used it, I've found it quite fast. The back feels smooth but she's never dropped it that I know of. Resolution might not be as high but I doubt your wife will really notice. Even on my old tablet which is slow as heck, I had something like 1280 x 800 resolution, the same as the Tab E, I believe, but I never have trouble viewing anything, even tiny text.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

Jason

You mentioned in another post that the price for the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8-inch had dropped to $179 and then shot back up to $299 at Staples. Well, can't do as well as $179 but it looks like you can get it at Amazon.ca or Best Buy online for $230. It's available in-store too, but you'd have to be willing to travel to Warden, at least right now:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/samsung-galaxy-tab-a-8-32gb-android-tablet-with-qualcomm-apq8017-quad-core-processor-black/11531619.aspx?

I'm not sure now if my wife has the Tab A or Tab E but it's definitely 8-inch. The 'A' 8-inch at Best Buy appears to be WiFi only whereas hers has LTE, too. I'll check later and get back to you on which she has.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

ssfc72

Yes, Staples has the 8 inch Tab A, on sale again for $230.  That is $50 plus tax, more than the $180 sale price, that they had previously.  I will have to wait for a better sale price.

Quote from: Jason Wallwork on January 16, 2019, 03:48:56 AM
You mentioned in another post that the price for the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8-inch had dropped to $179 and then shot back up to $299 at Staples. Well, can't do as well as $179 but it looks like you can get it at Amazon.ca or Best Buy online for $230. It's available in-store too, but you'd have to be willing to travel to Warden, at least right now:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/samsung-galaxy-tab-a-8-32gb-android-tablet-with-qualcomm-apq8017-quad-core-processor-black/11531619.aspx?

I'm not sure now if my wife has the Tab A or Tab E but it's definitely 8-inch. The 'A' 8-inch at Best Buy appears to be WiFi only whereas hers has LTE, too. I'll check later and get back to you on which she has.

Jason

But isn't your wife worth the extra $50 so she can use it now? :) I really hope she gets out of the hospital soon and doesn't need one though.

ssfc72

Darlene has been using my ipod touch, to listen to audiobooks, so she is not as bored, now. :-)

Quote from: Jason Wallwork on January 26, 2019, 10:41:56 AM
But isn't your wife worth the extra $50 so she can use it now? :) I really hope she gets out of the hospital soon and doesn't need one though.

Jason

Ah, that's good to hear. My wife listens to audiobooks on a daily basis through the library. Is that how Darlene does it?

ssfc72

No, for Darlene, I have downloaded an app called Audiobooks and it can download pay for audio books and also free audio books from  Librivox ,
The audiobooks can be streamed or downloaded. I always download the free audiobooks.  The list of available free audiobooks is huge.  Public domain books and very old classic books, that volunteers have made into audiobooks.

Jason

buster

I would consider getting the free Overdrive app, using (or getting) your local library membership, and signing into it. The number of books, epub or audio, is immense as it uses all of Ontario's resources. So you can get all the classics, as well as the commercial. Books just out a few days are free to download. And the readers tend to be professional actors.

The OverDrive app is used all over north America, by all the libraries. We also have a membership in Alabama, and can use it too. And the books vary between the countries.

Overdrive plus library membership equals huge resources.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

BrianP

If you did not get a tablet yet hAmazon Fire Tablets  may be  a good choice
7" is $59.99 or 8" for $99,  8.8 " for  $ 99, the 10 " is $199.99
all  can use kindle books - you can expand memory, hook up usb devices, has blue tooth  etc.

Jason

I noticed that Shoppers Drug Mart has a Samsung Tab 7" for $150 as their regular price as well. It's surprising to think but SDM has sales on electronics on a regular basis and although they don't have a lot of options sometimes you can find a pretty good deal. I saw the Amazon Fire $99 version there, too. You can access their flyer from their website.