• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

MX Linux 18

Started by fox, December 18, 2018, 07:04:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

Quote from: buster on December 15, 2018, 08:26:26 PM
Buster thinks you should at least try MXLinux for a few days.  :)
MXLinux just released version 18RC1. I am inclined to at least try it, in particular to see if I can get it to deep sleep on my laptop. I may wait until version 18 is released.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

buster

Mike wrote: "I may wait until version 18 is released."

Testing a not quite ready release seems to me unfair to the developers. Making a judgment on something with known bugs is bound to be wrong. The early releases are for the fans so feedback can be given and problems found.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

fox

Quote from: buster on December 18, 2018, 10:02:52 AM
....Testing a not quite ready release seems to me unfair to the developers. Making a judgment on something with known bugs is bound to be wrong. The early releases are for the fans so feedback can be given and problems found.
I'm not sure what your point is here. I'm not making a judgment on anything, and the "known bugs" relate to Nvidia graphics cards, which I don't have in my laptop. At this point, I'm mainly interested in seeing whether this laptop will go into a deep sleep with any distro, and this one got my attention, thanks to you.  :)

buster

Mike wrote: "the 'known bugs' relate to Nvidia graphics cards, which I don't have in my laptop."

Could be that is the only bug, but at this time I would doubt it. I would be disappointed though if you gave up because of some undetected errors at this stage of development. I think this distro is made for you - not totally simple, different from what you are used to so you need some learning, and quick. Bar on the left side you can put favorites on might remind you of Unity that you used to like.

fox

MX Linux stable version wouldn't boot my laptop; starts up but stops with a blank screen and no video. I even tried the failsafe option. Version 18RC does. Looks interesting; I'm going to try it.

buster

buster

Mike wrote: 'Version 18RC does. Looks interesting; I'm going to try it'

So,so,so???? What happened, what happened, what happened???????????????? How is it, eh,eh,eh????

buster

This is from Distrowatch:

The MX Linux team have announced the release of version 18 of their distribution. The new release is based on Debian 9.6 "Stretch" and features both core system updates and new versions of desktop applications.

So now the finished upgrade can be tested. I'll bet the final can be updated from the beta.

buster

Just updated my MXLinux straight from 17.1 to 18.0 final by following the simple click and enter instructions. Used the special MX package manager to upgrade the kernel to I think 19.5. Got loads of new desktop wallpaper. Runs as always after the reboot.

fox

Bare metal or virtual machine?

buster

VMWare with Win10 as host - 45 gig hd, 2 gig ram, 2 core allocated for MXLinux virtual install.

Works really well.

buster

Added KDE to MXLinux. Easy install from their simple software manager (not Synaptic). Can choose KDE or Xfce during sign in.

Surprised that it feels as light and quick in either! Good graphics.

BusterE

Interesting though that the guest/host files can be seen from both KDE and Xfce, but they only work in Xfce! So drag and drop with the host works only with Xfce.

No real problem because moving from one to the other is only seconds, but it is rather odd. And I'm surprised that both feel responsive and alert as I use them. Thought the KDE would be slower, but then my Suse is quick with KDE, except for booting and closing, (Can't match MXLinux here.)
BusterMan - Strong like Ox! Smart like elevator!

fox

The released version of 18 works well as a live usb, but when I went to install it, the installer didn't see the partition that I had prepared for it, even when choosing the custom option. I then downloaded Q4OS to try it and found the same thing. It was the 10th partition on that drive; maybe that hsd something to do with it? However. Ubuntu LTS installed ok there, so I'm not sure what's going on.

Jason

Strange. I don't know about Q4OS but MX Linux is based on Debian, not Ubuntu so maybe that has something to do with it. Though I'm unfamiliar with Linux haven't any trouble with partitions unless it's beyond 16. Perhaps the OSes just want to be installed on a primary partition for some reason? Does gparted or kparted see the partitions in live mode?
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13