• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Linux software deals???

Started by ssfc72, December 13, 2018, 02:59:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

Usually around Christmas time, some Linux programs/software are offered for sale at a very good price, for a short period of time.

I am thinking of the Crossover Linux program by Code Weavers.  I would be interested in purchasing this program if it was offered at a special price, like I believe they did last year, at this time.

Anyone know of any good deals, right now??
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

I just checked Codeweavers' site, and there are no listed discounts at present. I also searched for discount coupons for Crossover, found a few, but they were expired. Current price is $US39.95. I think I paid half that with a 50% discount coupon. I think that they issue 25% discounts fairly frequently.

I've been using Crossover for about 5 years, and have renewed several times to get the current version. It's a great product if you need access to PC programs on Linux. MS Office 2010 works really well with it, as does earlier editions. Newer versions (Office 2013 and 2016) less so, but support gets better with each subsequent version. One nice thing about Crossover is that you can legitimately install it on any computer you own. Codeweavers contributes heavily to Wine development, so they're a company worth supporting.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

ssfc72

Thanks Mike! I will try and watch for a Crossover Linux, discount.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

fox

Incidentally, you can download it and try it for free. I think it works unlicensed for 30 days.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Quote from: fox on December 13, 2018, 01:33:16 PM
Incidentally, you can download it and try it for free. I think it works unlicensed for 30 days.

14 days. Are you on their mailing list, Bill? I often find that if you stay on a company's mailing list, they often will offer you discounts that they don't offer anyone else or even advertise on the website. Or do the trial now and if they ask for your email, give it. You might find a discount a few weeks or a few months after you do the trial.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

I downloaded the 14 day trial version, so they have my email address, now. :-).  Thanks!