• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Fun with Android emulators

Started by Jason, December 04, 2018, 08:15:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

So I'm still working on my Android development course. Presently working on the look and feel of Android apps (Material Design, it's called) and in the course, we compare how this has changed over different Android versions.

In the screenshot attached, you can see emulators running Nexus 4 images using Android APIs 16,21 and 26 (Jellybean, Lollipop and Oreo) on the right-hand screen and watching the lecture on the left with the system monitors. Also the first time I've seen that much swap used on a desktop in a long time, it was up over 500 MB by the time I was done my session. So yes, it's still a good idea to have some swap, the system does use it even before it runs out of RAM.

I was surprised it actually worked as I only have 12 GB of RAM (it was recommended to have 16 GB or more for Windows) but Linux handles it with more than a gigabyte to spare!
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

Thanks Jason, for posting about the Android course you are working on!  It looks to be a very interesting course.

Bill
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

I must be missing something. Is there supposed to be a difference between the three phone screens on the right side of the image?
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Quote from: fox on December 05, 2018, 07:05:02 AM
I must be missing something. Is there supposed to be a difference between the three phone screens on the right side of the image?

Yep. The changes are very subtle but there is a difference between the first and the second screens and one between the second and third screens. The changes are in the colours, nothing else. Although my post was less about that and more just about how efficient Linux is compared to Windows. One of the instructors in the course who answers most of the questions actually uses Linux quite a bit.

For anybody interested, you can find the course here.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13