• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Auto mounting nas to mint19

Started by BrianP, September 26, 2018, 02:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianP

I am having an issue auto mounting my nas server directory/files to mint-19 Fresh install.

I had no issues with mint 18

my fstab looks like this

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.

UUID=74bd0dac-5a43-439c-9901-6a176891cd3b /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
# swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=6189a02b-a123-4d13-ac5e-de60f95894fa none            swap    sw              0       0
//192.168.1.4/Volume_1 /media/Plex cifs guest 0 0          <-------- this mount FAILS in mint19
//192.168.1.30/e /media/Plex2 cifs username=brian,password=xxxxx  0 0  <--- this mounts ok
//192.168.1.30/f /media/Plex3 cifs username=brian,password=xxxxx  0 0   <--- this mounts ok

The funny thing is if you select the file folder on the desktop and click on network all my server appear and will connect.

But will not auto mount

also will not mount with
sudo mount -a        command

Something has changed from mint 18 to 19 with the guest mount.

the 192.168.1.4 is a dlink dns-320 nas box running some sort of linux code  <--this one fails

the 192.168.1.30  is a windows server running hw raid with 2 raid 1 mirrors <-- works fine

I have even created a new id on the nas box with a password still no luck.

any help would be appreciated.

buster

"I had no issues with mint 18"

Probably has nothing to do with your issues, but things got so unpleasant I rolled my 19 back to 18. Couldn't see a legitimate reason to live with the inconvenience.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

Perhaps you could try specifying the version number like suggested here in the release notes for Ubuntu 18.04 (which LM 19 is based on):

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BionicBeaver/ReleaseNotes#Default_CIFS.2FSMB_protocol_version_change_in_CIFS_mounts
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

BrianP

I tried the version thing last night ...It did not work.  :-\
So I figured I try again today.. cold re-boot.
//192.168.1.4/Volume_1 /media/Plex cifs guest,uid=1000,vers=1.0,auto,user 0 0

It worked like a champ.. thanks

Jason

Glad it worked for you. I hope it stays working :)

I personally find cifs so unpredictable personally. I can share files from one machine to another one day, do the exact same thing another day and it doesn't work. Sometimes just logging back out and again works. I think it has to do with periodic polling for the which computer is the master browser and so on. Editing the smb.conf file on the always-on computer (probably the server) so that's it's always the master can fix this from what I understand but it's been years since I've done that kind of stuff.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

ssfc72

Wow! Jason, that sure is amazing that you knew that fix!
You are entitled to wear those Guru glasses, at the next Mug, get together. :-)
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

I'll tell you a secret, Bill, but you can't tell anyone. I had no idea what the fix was. I just figured it out like this:

• Something changed in LM 19 that broke CIFS, which is basically the fancy name for windows network sharing. I noted that because BrianP said he had no problem with it in LM 18.
  • I remembered that every new version of a distro is usually released with known issues that they either tell you about in the install or on their website. I thought maybe this was one of them and checked the release notes on the LM website.
  • None of the known issues in the release notes on LM 19 mentioned anything with cifs/samba or windows networking. But it did mention that LM 19 is based on Ubuntu 18.04 so suggested also checking those release notes.
  • Did that and sure enough in the release notes for 18.04 it mentioned an issue with mounting remote windows shares.
  • It was sheer luck that it happened to solve the issue that BrianP mentioned.
Moral of the story - read the release notes for a distro or at least scan over them. The Ubuntu 18.04 notes were quite extensive but there was a table of contents to the right to look at.

I'm not very good at remembering solutions or fixes but I'm great at systematic steps for solving problems, which even if I spend hours trying to fix, I will probably forget completely about within a few months :)