• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

no splash screen on boot

Started by dougal, September 18, 2018, 02:06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dougal

came home from the MUG with a few ideas offered up by Bill and Brian...using an usb keyboard I was able to get into the BIOS and sure enough the FASTBOOT mode was on...so now I could get in and change the sequence though the resident keyboard symptoms remain(about 8 keys work)...I was able to install LMINT on a couple of 2.5" hdds for future use...(yes brian that hdd seems unusable, though others that produced the sound are now happy to be in action???)
I had presented another challenge, that my HP tower was failing to boot and was giving a 4 beep code...I removed the cmos battery and after replacing the beeps were gone but no sytem was detected on one of the hdds but it booted up LMINT on the other drive,just have to reset the time.

so thanks for all the suggestions, dougal

Jason

Glad you figured it out but keyboard symptoms? Could you elaborate on that? Are you saying that only eight keys work?
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

dougal

quick look and its:
bn/kjhgfdawp[\ and on the neumeric section;673*/
also the backspace,shift,enter

Jason

Weird - definitely sounds like a hardware issue. Could be they keyboard itself, like somebody spilled coffee on it or the connector has popped out partway maybe. Could happen if it was dropped, I suppose.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

cod3poet

Open it up and disconnect the keyboard, us a usb keyboard in the interim, you can always rinse out the original and then let it dry for a few days (week even) and try it again. Otherwise you have a spare display / portable server with battery backup as long as you get networking setup and SSH running :)
Arch, Windows, Ubuntu, MacOS. In that order. (Definitely 04/2023)
Ryzen9 5950x/128gb/2tbNVME/8TB(Current)Win11
8th gen i7/32gb/1tbNVME(Current)Arch
Macbook Pro 16/2021 m1/32gb(Current)Work
Comptia CNSP / Azure Devops Eng Expert / VMware Certified/ Sec Automation Engineer / Senior SRE