• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Ubuntu 18.10 is here

Started by cod3poet, October 18, 2018, 02:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cod3poet

https://www.ubuntu.com/

I figured out it was the boot order in my vm that prevented me from testing the daily builds. Just in time to get the production release. I'll be installing this in a VM tonight and testing this week. It's been a while since I have run Ubuntu desktop. I am excited to see what I can do with it as I am running a multitude of ubuntu servers out in the wild.
Arch, Windows, Ubuntu, MacOS. In that order. (Definitely 04/2023)
Ryzen9 5950x/128gb/2tbNVME/8TB(Current)Win11
8th gen i7/32gb/1tbNVME(Current)Arch
Macbook Pro 16/2021 m1/32gb(Current)Work
Comptia CNSP / Azure Devops Eng Expert / VMware Certified/ Sec Automation Engineer / Senior SRE

Jason

Cool! And Kubuntu 18.10 is out, too, which is what I'm using. I didn't know it had the same release schedule as Ubuntu.

Also just realized with Ubuntu , you can upgrade from within it - without requiring an flash drive with 18.10 on it. But I'm not sure if you can within Kubuntu. Since it uses a different Update Manager built into Discover, the steps for Ubuntu don't work. I could install the Ubuntu update-manager but not sure whether I'm ready yet to potentially break my setup. :)
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

I'm way ahead of both of you. I just upgraded my 18.04 installation on my home iMac. I had no trouble with the upgrade, and none afterwards (so far). 18.10 seems very snappy; noticeably faster than 18.04. I'm going to try upgrading my Dell laptop next.

Incidentally, the new Suru community theme is very nice. First default theme I'm not inclined to change.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

fox

The Dell laptop upgrade went as smoothly as the iMac, and everything seems to be working well. I have traditionally installed new versions of Ubuntu by upgrading the older one. So far, I have never had a Ubuntu upgrade fail.

Jason

Did you upgrade using Update Manager or by using a flash drive with the new ISO on it?
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

cod3poet

I know I have done a few in place upgrades:

Prep system then perform ditro upgrade

$ sudo apt update
$ sudo apt upgrade
$ sudo apt dist-upgrade

And the out with the old or orphaned packages

$ sudo apt autoremove

Although I tend to build a few VM's a week so starting fresh is always the way I go.
Arch, Windows, Ubuntu, MacOS. In that order. (Definitely 04/2023)
Ryzen9 5950x/128gb/2tbNVME/8TB(Current)Win11
8th gen i7/32gb/1tbNVME(Current)Arch
Macbook Pro 16/2021 m1/32gb(Current)Work
Comptia CNSP / Azure Devops Eng Expert / VMware Certified/ Sec Automation Engineer / Senior SRE

Jason

Sorry, I meant that for Mike although it's interesting to see how you did it, too. And that also gives me a tip for how to handle my Kubuntu upgrade, so thanks! :)

Jason

I don't think you need to use both upgrade and dist-upgrade. The latter does everything the former does plus it intelligently handles changing dependencies with new versions of packages. From the man-page for apt-get:

Quoteupgrade
           upgrade is used to install the newest versions of all packages currently installed on
           the system from the sources enumerated in /etc/apt/sources.list. Packages currently
           installed with new versions available are retrieved and upgraded; under no
           circumstances are currently installed packages removed, or packages not already
           installed retrieved and installed. New versions of currently installed packages that
           cannot be upgraded without changing the install status of another package will be left
           at their current version. An update must be performed first so that apt-get knows that
           new versions of packages are available.

dist-upgrade
           dist-upgrade in addition to performing the function of upgrade, also intelligently
           handles changing dependencies with new versions of packages; apt-get has a "smart"
           conflict resolution system, and it will attempt to upgrade the most important packages
           at the expense of less important ones if necessary. The dist-upgrade command may
           therefore remove some packages. The /etc/apt/sources.list file contains a list of
           locations from which to retrieve desired package files. See also apt_preferences(5) for
           a mechanism for overriding the general settings for individual packages.

Apparently, with apt, dist-upgrade is replaced with full-upgrade.

Jason

Just discovered something else, I found that both of those commands only upgrade within a release (because they use the sources.list file). I tried both commands and neither of them did anything (I was already up on the latest updates). I just tried in Kubuntu 18.04.

For Kubuntu, there is a tool you download, install and run and it does the upgrade to a new release:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CosmicUpgrades/Kubuntu#Upgrade.

I think in Ubuntu, you just change the line in the Software Sources GUI to allow for newer releases and then those commands might work. And the terminal commands might also work if you're using Ubuntu Server - I don't know.

Update: You don't need to download the tool, it's already built into Kubuntu. I'll let you know how it goes.

ssfc72

I am running Lubuntu on my Dell XPS 12" notebook.
Apparently, from the release notes for18.10, Lubuntu is now using a different Installer than what all the other Ubuntu  distros are using, and there are some issues with it.
There are also some some other issues with Lubuntu 18.10, which they expect to be  fuixed shortly, in further updates.

I will just try the Lubuntu 18.10, running from a pen drive, for awhile, before I update my Dell XPS.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

I should have started a new topic for Kubuntu earlier instead of posting here. So I finally did it here if anybody is interested.

fox

I have always used the upgrade msnager; never the new distro on a usb stick.

Jason