• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

My Campaign website

Started by Jason, August 01, 2018, 03:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

Hey guys, I'd like to ask a favour of you all. I just put up my campaign website and I want to make sure above all that it isn't doesn't have typos or other errors that I made. Can you take a look? It's only 5 pages in total. Let me know if you found anything difficult to navigate or confusing as well.

https://www.jasonwallwork.ca

Thank you so much!
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

Website looks very good to me!  Lots of detailed info, provided about how you would like to see things change.

On the Issues page, at the bottom;   companies that we have to do that.
Maybe that should read;    companies than we have to do that.

On the Contact Me page;  should you have a special email address, so your Ward people can send you an email?
Something like;  wallwork_for_council@gmail.com
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Thanks Bill!

I fixed the text at the bottom of that page. Not sure about creating an email address with a slogan in it. I think it's easier for people to just use jason@jasonwallwork.ca and I have added that to the website now. Not looking forward to all the spam I will probably get from it, though! But if people have trouble with the captcha on the form, it's another way for them to get through to me.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

buster

Nice site Jason! Love the picture. Did your wife take that shot and work it? Didn't see anyone's name getting credit for it.

The only thing I noted was this sentence and I think there is something wrong with it, but not sure what. But jane Austen wouldn't have written it like that. (She's my favourite writer.)

"Jason believes in citizen-led ward advisory councils that direct their representatives on the issues they care about and seeking the input of his ward ..."

Ah. The active subject is the council directing in the first part of the sentence and the actual person 'seeking' input is not in the sentence. While the representative is mentioned, he is not grammatically attached to seeking.

Could be done "...issues they care about. This representative should seek..."

Totally up to you however.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

My friend Ron Zinck took that picture. He does some beautiful work and has a a better camera than I do. I'm not sure if he did any enhancement other than to bring out the natural colours that you often don't see after the picture is taken. And I should give him credit and have now, thank you for mentioning that.

And the other change you suggested is spot on, I think. I knew there was something unwieldy about that sentence but wasn't sure what it was.

Thanks!

fox

Nice website - good pictures and messaging overall. A few criticisms. The "My Politics" statement, which is pretty wishy-washy and gives no evidence that you have a position on any issue. The "Issues" section shows otherwise ... if people will read that far. Also, the attracting business statement is very vague. Can you beef this up a bit with an example of what, specifically, the city is doing wrong or something you would change?

Two minor points - (1) there is no indication on your website as to which ward you are running in. (2) No picture of you on the website.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

buster

Not sure specifics wins elections - the just society, infrastructure, make America great again, put tax money back in your pocket, wasted money, Canadian values....

Specifics can always be attacked, and then it's a defensive battle.

I suspect it's like advertising: the best ads don't talk specifics, they talk association and lifestyle.

Much of modern politics is attack, simplifications, and dreams. Shouldn't be that way, but we're not really rational beings.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

Quote from: fox on August 02, 2018, 07:13:29 AM
Nice website - good pictures and messaging overall. A few criticisms. The "My Politics" statement, which is pretty wishy-washy and gives no evidence that you have a position on any issue. The "Issues" section shows otherwise ... if people will read that far. Also, the attracting business statement is very vague. Can you beef this up a bit with an example of what, specifically, the city is doing wrong or something you would change?

Two minor points - (1) there is no indication on your website as to which ward you are running in. (2) No picture of you on the website.

Thanks for your input!

As regards being more specific about attracting business, I'm not sure yet and I also want to avoid being too specific - Buster makes a good call here. And if you look at the other councillors, I don't think any of them (or the mayor or the person running for his job even) have anything more specific about how they would attract businesses. This seems like it's a normal. Though not on this particular issue, on the other issues, I probably have more specific things I'd do than most of the other candidates in any of the wards. Kemi seems to be the only one that actually says much of anything but even it's not too specific.

You can see that full list of candidates with their websites here to compare. Some of them don't even websites, just Facebook. Maybe the Mayor will even get a website up soon! It's only 9 days after his campaign launch!

http://www.peterboroughvotes.ca/Candidate_Information/List_of_Certified_Candidates.htm

(1) The title of the Website at the top of the browser was "Jason Wallwork for Otonabee Ward Councillor" and I make several mentions on the various pages of the website about Otonabee Ward. Name recognition is more important than the ward because when you're given a ballot, you only have a choice of mayor, your ward and the school board you vote for, as I recall. However, I have added more language and changed the first header to have Otonabee Ward in it so it's clearer.

(2) I had to get my hair cut first. Now that it's cut I've put a selfie up that I took though it's more of a placeholder until I get a better one taken.

ssfc72

Is there a dress code for the councillors, of a shirt and tie, at the council meetings?

If so, maybe you could wear a shirt and tie, for your next photo, on your website.  Just a thought,
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

Jason

I don't know if there is an actual dress code for City Council meetings but they do seem to dress formally.

I'll get a picture taken with shirt and tie as soon as I have a business shirt and a tie. :) Seriously, I haven't had to go to anything formal in a long time so anything I do have is so badly warn that I need to get something new-to-me at least. Being poor is so fun!

ssfc72

Jason