• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Bookworm — the new version of Raspberry Pi OS (article)

Started by Jason, October 30, 2023, 02:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

This article from the people at Raspberry Pi details the latest version of Raspberry Pi. There are many behind-the-scenes changes but a few you will likely notice like the inclusion of Network Manager for controlling network connection as with most graphical Linux distributions.

https://www.raspberrypi.com/news/bookworm-the-new-version-of-raspberry-pi-os/?utm_source=pocket_saves

Do any of the changes pique your interest to try it out? Or what do you think of the new changes generally?
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

I currently only use a Raspberry Pi 4 as a surveillance camera, using a usb webcam.
The RPi 4 has to be run with the MotionEye OS and not the RPi OS.
The MotionEye surveillance webcam has been running continuously without problem for a number of years, now.

I think if I was to get back to playing with a SBC (single board computer), I might go with another brand that uses an ARM processor or a RISC processor.
These boards seem to have surpassed the performance of the latest RPI 5 and are just as inexpensive.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Oh, I hadn't realized (or more likely, forgotten) that MotionEye is/has an OS. That's cool. I'm guessing that you're viewing it live so it is streamed to another device but does it do recording, too? Or is streamed to another device for recording?
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

"The RPi 4 has to be run with the MotionEye OS and not the RPi OS.
The MotionEye surveillance webcam has been running continuously without problem for a number of years, now."

'Running continuously' is the way it should be, but not always the way it is. Interested in how many years it goes without any problems.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

ssfc72

Yes, I can view the real time video from any of my phones, tablet or computers by going to the IP address of the RPi.
I have the motion detected video being stored to the SD card on the RPi. I can view the stored video anytime I want to.
I used to have the motion captured video, go to my cloud Google drive.

Quote from: Jason on October 31, 2023, 02:35:23 PMOh, I hadn't realized (or more likely, forgotten) that MotionEye is/has an OS. That's cool. I'm guessing that you're viewing it live so it is streamed to another device but does it do recording, too? Or is streamed to another device for recording?
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service