• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

HP X360 11.6" notebook has issues running under Linux

Started by ssfc72, August 10, 2016, 08:28:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

Well I thought I had a very nice new notebook, to replace my older Acer 11.6", Intel i3 cpu.

This HP, besides being a nice small size, has an IPS screen, wifi AC speed, bluetooth and the Pentium N3700 cpu, bechmarks as being slightly faster than the Intel i3 380UM cpu, that the Acer has.

Unfortunately, there is a known issue with the wifi module in this notebook, not working with any Linux Distro, without issuing some additional command line, commands, once the Distro is installed. :-(
This is a deal breaker for me!

The fix works fine, if you install the linux Distro to the hard drive.  However,  I want to be able to run Live versions of various Distros from a bootable USB pen drive.
Since a bootable Linux distro pen drive  can not be wrote to, there is no way to issue the commands from the Terminal, then reboot the computer to make the command take effect, because rebooting just goes back to the original version of the Distro. :-(

Looks like I will be shipping this notebook back to Amazon.ca and continue my search for an inexpensive small notebook, with the features of the HP X360 11.6"
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Thanks for letting us know, Bill. Too bad that it didn't work for you. Hope you find something better.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

William Park

Never buy HP laptop for Linux.  I have HP Chromebook, but I'm using it as it was intended and as is.

ssfc72

I have now had some success with running the live Mint 18 distro, from a usb pendrive, on this HP notebook.

I used the Yumi multiboot ( a windows OS) program to create a bootable USB pendrive with the Mint 18 distro.
In the Yumi screen there is an option to set a Persistence file size for storing any changes made to the Distro, whien you are running it.

I enabled this persistence option for my bootable live Mint 18, on a usb pendrive.
I then booted up Mint 18 on the HP X360, and I issued the commands, from a terminal window, as instructed in one of the Forums that had the fix for this wifi problem.

I then rebooted the HP with the bootable usb pendrive and booted into Mint 18, again.
The wifi worked perfectly! :-)

Everything seems to work very nicely with Mint 18, on this HP X360 11.6" notebook.  Trackpad seems to work well, bluetooth works well.

I am going to try a few other Distros, running as a live Distro from a bootable usb pendrive, to see if this wifi fix will also work for them.

I may just be able to hang on to this HP notebook, after all.

Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

ssfc72

I have also had success running the Cub distro, from a bootable usb pendrive (with a persistence file enabled), on the HP X360 11.6"

However I have been unsuccessful in getting the bluetooth to work on this notebook. (I also was unable to get bluetooth to work on my Dell Inspirion i7000 notebook, while running Cub, from a bootable usb pendrive)
So there appears to be an issue with bluetooth and the Cub distro.

ssfc72

OK, while waiting at the Monday Mug for the quys to show up,  I booted the HP X360 11" up into Win10 and went into the HP help, on the notebook, to see if there was a BIOS update available.
After having to spend a lot of extra time to download and install more HP software,  that enabled the computer to report to HP what model it was, there was a BIOS update available.

I did the BIOS update successfully and then I booted up the OpenMandriva LX 3.0 Distro from a bootable usb pendrive.
There was no option with this Live Distro, for a persistence file to be used on the Pendrive, to keep any changes made to the distro.
Therefore, before the BIOS update, the Terminal commands to fix the wifi problem (the command blacklists a certain "acer-wmi" file) could not be kept, after doing the required reboot of the distro.

After the BIOS update, I now found the wifi, in OpenMandriva, to be working! :-)

It was a chore to get the wifi in OpenMandriva to work, however.  All the different wifi Access Points available, were listed but the da*** KDE Wallet kept poping up, wanting me to set a password. :-(
I didn't want to be bothered with this KDE Wallet, but it didn't seem to allow my password for the Access Point to be applied.
I eventually gave up and set the KDE Wallet password.

So it now appears, that after the BIOS update, the HP x360 can now get the wifi to work, while running the OpenMandriva Distro from a bootable usb pendrive! :-)
Edit, Aug 19 -  It appears the BIOS update has not helped with getting the wifi to work, with a few other Distros, that I have tried.  I would still need to issue the Terminal command, to fix the wifi.

I am finding that the HP X360 runs quite hot on the bottom, while streaming YouTube movies/videos.  You won't be leaving this notebook on your lap, for very long, while watching a movie, with it.

fox

I think that every PC, except those made by Linux companies, have some kind of problem or other with Linux. My Dell xps13 has sound issues after any boot of Windows - go figure! And this is the same computer sold by Dell with Linux on it (the Developer edition).
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13