• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Linux Journal again

Started by fox, May 13, 2018, 09:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

As Jason noted in an earlier thread, Linux Journal is publishing again. What you may not know is that I am on Linux Journal's advisory board, and have been asked to give advice on future subject areas, as well as suggestions for future editorial topics. Among the topics they are considering are DIY Projects, Containers, Gaming, HPC, Programming, Monitoring, Coreboot/Libreboot/Linuxboot, Machine Automation and Security. They want feedback about other topics to include on this list as editorial topics, and also subject areas. If you have ideas on topics you would like to see them cover, send me an email.

I should mention that I was not a previous subscriber to LJ until I agreed to be part of their advisory board, so I wasn't that familiar with the journal. My previous subscription was to Linux Voice, which got folded into Linux Pro magazine. I am presently subscribed to this, but in looking at all the current published Linux magazines (including Linux Format which I sometimes buy), I find that all but Linux Voice had a high ratio of articles for advanced users to articles of general interest to people at my level. I'm now hoping that with the resuscitation of LJ and an opportunity to influence its content, I can help make LJ more beginner/intermediate user friendly.

I am now halfway through their current (May) edition, and am so far finding it slightly more to my liking than Linux Pro or Linux Format. The current issue has a great series of articles on privacy, including easy things any of us can do to keep more of our data private (it even covers Tor and Facebook). The other nice thing I discovered about LJ is that they have released at least one of their recent issues (get it here). The website itself has interesting articles on it; check it out. If you like what you see, consider subscribing to the electronic edition (12 issues for $US34.50 or $6/issue).

Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

ssfc72

Thanks for the info about LJ, Mike!
I downloaded the LJ pdf to my smart phone and the magazine shows well on my phone.

One thing i can suggest for a magazine topic would be the ins and outs of setting up and using VM such as Virtualbox.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

I'd like to see reviews of Linux distributions and some basics as well as advanced uses of applications. Something on PGP would be good, too. I think they need to think about more than just advanced Linux users and sysadmins. HPC would be good as would something about building your own Linux PC with budget/standard/high-end configuration suggestions. I mean, these are the guys that probably know what hardware is best and how about recommendations of printers and other hardware that work well with Linux?
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

Jason

Oh shoot, I posted it here instead of sending you an email. Did you need emails to forward to them or can you take feedback this way as well?
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

I can use the feedback any way I get it. I'll be asking folks that come to tonight's PLUG MUG if they have any feedback. I would like my feedback to represent the opinions of PLUG members as much as possible, not just me.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13