• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Cogeco throttling VPN??

Started by ssfc72, May 13, 2018, 05:22:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

Quote from: ssfc72 on May 16, 2018, 10:14:27 AM
I the turned off the PIA VPN and I got a download speed of around 5 MB/s.  Still much much faster downloading without using PIA VPN.

That may be, but just for that particular server, which would suggest it's the server and not Cogeco throttling or PIA that is the problem. The bandwidth test tells you that you're cable of 40 Mbps speed to Toronto with PIA on. So if a Puppy server also in Toronto is giving you much less speed, it's that server that is the problem since it's doubtful that you're using different Internet "pipes" to get to each since geographically they're so close. Hope that makes sense.

You could do further investigation to see if they're taking the same paths and if not, where the hold up is by using the traceroute terminal command against each address. Or if you let me know which domain name you're getting the ISO from, give me that info and I'll compare the hops to each other. If they're pretty close, it has to be the puppy server doing it.

* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

Well it definitely is the Toronto PIA VPN server, that is the problem!

Using the PIA VPN Toronto server, the Puppy Linux iso downloads at around 1.5 MB/s

Without using the PIA VPN, the Puppy Linux iso downloads at 5 MB/s

[/quote]

That may be, but just for that particular server, which would suggest it's the server and not Cogeco throttling or PIA that is the problem.
[/quote]
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Then how do you explain the bandwidth test?

I had written a long response trying to explain again to you what I mean but had posting problems. Here's a shorter response.

If the server you're downloading from is throttling traffic based on IP address and say it only allows 100 MB/s per IP address (not in total but any single IP address can't get faster than 100 MB/s).

And then 70 people using the same VPN server across the millions using the Internet download the latest version of Puppy from this server.

What do you think will happen?

And where is the actual problem when you (and everybody else on that VPN) get only 1.5 MB/s?

I think the problem lies with the server doing the throttling although it's because they think you guys are all one "person".

You think it's PIA's fault just because it only happens when you use VPN. In a way, I guess you could say we're both right.

I just don't think it's PIA's "problem" because they can't do anything about it if that is what is happening. And I don't know that it is, it's just a hypothesis. Try contacting PIA support and ask them about it.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

Jason

Downloaded a Steam game over PIA Toronto right now. I watched it carefully and right up to the finish it never dropped below 4.5 MB/s.

ssfc72

All I know is the much faster download speeds I get, when I download the iso, not using the PIA VPN Toronto server/ISP and then immediately download the iso using the PIA VPN Toronto server/ISP and getting much slower download speeds.

That is very strange, that you can get 4.5 Mbs ( I am assume you actually mean 4.5 MB/s), when downloading the Steam game using the PIA VPN Toronto server. There must be something different between your setup and mine,

I am using Linux Mint 18. Are you running PIA VPN from a Windows OS??

Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Quote from: ssfc72 on May 18, 2018, 08:50:07 AM
That is very strange, that you can get 4.5 Mbs ( I am assume you actually mean 4.5 MB/s), when downloading the Steam game using the PIA VPN Toronto server. There must be something different between your setup and mine,
Yes, I did, thanks for the corrected. I fixed the original post.

I am using Linux Mint 18. Are you running PIA VPN from a Windows OS??

In this case, I was, yes, only because this game wasn't available for Linux on the Steam platform. I wans't intending this as a test, just wanted to download a couple of free games that were only available for a limited time and happened to notice how fast they were coming in (which is the norm) and thought I'd share.

I'll check right now to see if there is a game for Linux I can download or re-download that is free and post a screen shot of how fast it comes in using PIA connected to their Toronto VPN. Sadly, I'm having some really annoying LInux Mint issues that may stop me from doing this but I'll give it a shot. And my problems will probably end up being a topic in itself.

I'd suggest maybe you should try downloading large files from other servers and see what happens so you can take that Puppy server out of the equation. Download a couple of other distros, for example and make sure they're not using the same server as Puppy (i.e. choose a server, don't just use their automatic service that picks a mirror for you).

Jason

This was taken about 3 minutes in to a download of a Steam game with Linux Mint 18.3 KDE and as you can see I'm using PIA VPN set to Toronto. I'll try to remember to check it an hour or so to see if the speed holds up and let you know if it doesn't.

Probably most already know this, but click on the screen shot if you need to see the full-sized image for detail. What is showing by default is actually a thumbnail.

Jason

Had to stop downloading because of rebooting necessary to fix my issues with LM. One of them down, and still another to go. Anyway, started the download again using PIA Toronto and still getting good results, better than before actually: