• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

May 7th 2018 PLUG Meeting: KDE Plasma desktop using Neptune OS (redux)

Started by cod3poet, April 29, 2018, 10:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cod3poet

Jason Wallwork will be presenting the KDE Plasma desktop using Neptune OS which is a showcase for the latest version of KDE built on top of Debian Wheezy. The vast majority of our presentations have featured distros that use Gnome, Cinnamon, LXDE or XFCE as their base desktops and we haven't spent much time talking about KDE. Jason will be hoping to remedy this gap with information on how Plasma is different and why you might want to use it with some focus on particular KDE applications for email, file management, contacts, and more.

1500 Lansdowne Street West, Peterborough, Ontario, Canada.
Parking is on the east (right) side. Entrance is at the front of the building. From the front, go down the hall to the right, and enter the last door on the left.

https://www.facebook.com/events/123966971796014/
Arch, Windows, Ubuntu, MacOS. In that order. (Definitely 04/2023)
Ryzen9 5950x/128gb/2tbNVME/8TB(Current)Win11
8th gen i7/32gb/1tbNVME(Current)Arch
Macbook Pro 16/2021 m1/32gb(Current)Work
Comptia CNSP / Azure Devops Eng Expert / VMware Certified/ Sec Automation Engineer / Senior SRE

cod3poet

At this meeting we will also be taking membership renewals. Membership, although voluntary, is encouraged. Membership fees cover our room rental costs and any surplus is used to treat members during the Christmas Pizza party. A membership is only $25 a year, a fee that hasn't changed since 2000. You can pay via cash or cheque (made out to PLUG). Membership also gives you the opportunity to review Linux-related or other computer books, and bragging rights.
Comptia CNSP / Azure Devops Eng Expert / VMware Certified/ Sec Automation Engineer / Senior SRE

Glen-VE3LIZ

Hi All.  Hope to make it to the meeting and could be bringing some passengers.  Maybe meet for dinner before meeting, also.  KDE is an interesting topic for me, as that is my usual desktop. 
Glen, VE3LIZ

tommolica

Hope to make it also, and expect to be in Peterborough around 5 to 5:15, and meet up the crew for eats somewhere. Any preferences?????anyone.

ssfc72

I will be car pooling with Tom M,
I will bring my check for the PLUG membership renewal, as well.

Bill
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Paul Kneeland

Jason

Quote from: tommolica on May 06, 2018, 06:49:46 PM
Hope to make it also, and expect to be in Peterborough around 5 to 5:15, and meet up the crew for eats somewhere. Any preferences? ??? ?anyone.

I'd be interested in getting eats first as long as it's not too expensive. I nominate Mary Brown's chicken. Will you guys have enough room for me, too?
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

Jason

i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

ssfc72

Tom and I are sitting at Mary Browns, at the moment.
I havn t been able to raise Glen on the PBO repeater to see where they are going to get a bite to eat, before the meeting.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

cod3poet

audophile, n:
        Someone who listens to the equipment instead of the music.

See attached the AI color chart.

buster

Jason, when I used Neptune in virtual a number of weeks ago, it was stable and quick. Reinstalled last night because I  wondered about your experiences with Discover. Good at first. After my update the distro became extremely annoying! It's now gone.

Whatever is wrong, it all happened with the update. Really too bad. Enjoyed the look at KDE last night . Good presentation.

Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

Thanks. Good to know it wasn't just something I did. Still like KDE but having some issues with OpenSUSE now. Things I could probably fix if I wanted to spend the time to fixing them, which I don't, when using a different distro would be faster.

• Bad rendering fonts in Firefox.
  • It uses Firefox ESR instead of the main branch
  • Spotify no longer working - it's designed for Debian/Ubuntu.
  • Can't use PIA connection app (again designed for Debian/Ubuntu)
And that's after spending time already getting extra codecs and finding nvidia drivers separately. A bit soured on OpenSUSE now as a result. Thinking of trying Kubuntu next because that would solve all the above issues in one sweep (I believe).