• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

New Life for an Old Computer

Started by BusterE, April 19, 2018, 10:51:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

Quote from: dougal on April 21, 2018, 02:02:35 PM
I guess the criteria I didn't state very clearly around "haven't seem any used[ssds] for sale yet is my desire to Reduce,Reuse,Recycle....therefore giving a 'new life' to the tower, as well as some of the hdds and RAM sticks I have in use fits....so I am hoping to come upon a ssd that some one is no longer wanting/using...most likely they may be going up in size, where all I need is something that will hold a Linux OS and a couple of apps(<50gb).

If you can hold out for 3-6 months, you can have my 64 GB SSD as I'll likely be upgrading to a new and faster shortly down the road. And I can confirm that not only can you fit Linux + apps on it, there is room for a Windows 10 install, too, though not with much in the way of added programs! That might change down the road (with Win10, not Linux, with all the updates and new packs they release).
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

BusterE

Before I leave this topic, I wish to thank Jason who introduced me to Cinnamox-Kashmir-Blue as a theme in Mint. I never would have discovered it. Shows really well on my monitor - especially the detail. Here's a small sized VLC as an example.
BusterMan - Strong like Ox! Smart like elevator!

Jason

I thought it was and you're welcome. It's one of the few Cinnamon themes that I like because so many of them don't look very good with all applications (too dark, too little contrast, or just plain ugly).
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

dougal

cheers, Jason....that would work out great for me whenever you 'upgrade' .

I agree with what you were offering about buying a 'pig in a poke' ...often  i've been able to know who the owner was and it's condition or it's been free and i'm willing to take the chance usually running it in the second hdd slot in case of failure....I don't keep files on the drives just OS and apps...for upgrading Ram it's been mostly positive as well and I have the old sticks in reserve in case of issues.

thanks, dougal