• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

GPS usb dongle, VK-172 running from Foxtrot GPS map program

Started by ssfc72, March 20, 2018, 08:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

So, I received my $9 CND, usb GPS dongle from China/Hong Kong and tried it out on my Mint 18.3 Linux Distro.
Works well! :-)

I found the following YouTube video, which nicely steps you through, getting the GPS running under Linux.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd2aIRX-DdI

The above video is quite a few years old, but the instructions only needed minor corrections, to get the install to work on a recent Linux Distro.
The "Setup GPS Daemon" command instruction, appears to be no longer valid.  To configure the gpsd file, you just go to the /etc folder. then to the   /default folder and with an Editor, you edit the gpsd, file. You have to be root, to be able to edit the file.
The only thing that needs to be edited is the "Device" name.  I put in,  /dev/usb0
As noted in the video, you can find out what your usb gps is being identified as, by going into the /dev folder and it probably will show as gps0 (that's a zero), for a VK-172 gps usb dongle.

Your usb gps dongle should be near a window, to be able to pick up the gps satellites.  A long usb extension cable would be good to have.

Also, the GPS mapping software program that is mentioned, TangoGPS, is no longer being maintained and I didn't find it in Synaptic.  The TangoGps webpage suggests using the FoxtrotGPS and that is found in Synaptic and is what I used.

Pretty neat for just $9, to get your notebook computer to have the GPS service. :--)

Bill
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

That's pretty cool, and cheap, too. How long did it take from ordering? I don't think it will work very well in my basement apartment though :D Did you have a specific use for it in mind or just a fun gadget?
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

Delivery took about 1 1/2 month.  It arrived before the estimated delivery date, that was given.

I just wanted to have fun playing with the  usb gps, to see if I could get it to work, under linux.  It didn't come with any cd for drivers, just the dongle in a blister pack.

I will look into seeing if I can run a navigation program using the gps dongle and also maybe send the gps data to the Cloud, so that I could remotely see the output of the gps.

If you get a long usb extension cable, you could place the gps in your window and it should work fine. :-)
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Quote from: ssfc72 on March 21, 2018, 08:55:10 AM
If you get a long usb extension cable, you could place the gps in your window and it should work fine. :-)

I suppose that's true. And I remembered my phone seems to eerily know where I am right now despite being about 20 feet from the south-facing large window.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13