• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

creating dual boot in vista

Started by dougal, March 10, 2018, 09:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dougal

i'm trying to utilize an older windows box to create a dual boot machine with mint...using the windows disk manager I shrank the c: drive which gave me 135gb of space of which I then created a 30gb volume(partition) as was suggested online...the usb flash is in FAT32 format so I chose this when formatting the new volume....error message states that this is too small a volume for the file type no parameters offered!...after searching here and online I'm still not finding anything giving file type allocation parameters...any leads on info or suggestions on what works would be great.

ssfc72

I believe you should Format the 30G Volume as EXT4, for your Mint partition.

Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Bill is right. What you should do is just make the space available but don't format it since Windows doesn't know how to natively make Linux partitions (unless this has changed). Honestly though, the LM install can handle all the formatting required. No need to use Windows disk manager at all.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13