• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Suggestions for inexpensive, Linux-friendly USB wifi dongle

Started by fox, February 16, 2018, 11:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

( Edited out part of an email I sent to a friend in Ottawa!!!! )

Apparently this is what Mint uses under a different name. Used it many times. Zero failures! Also it's beyond simple, and pretty quick.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

fox

You might want to check that link, Buster. It leads me to an Apple site dealing with mail.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Thanks, Fox, for the link and the info about it working with OpenSUSE, too. I wasn't aware that Tumbleweed could boot to a live ISO either. Be careful about using it if have to use extra video drivers. It's rolling release including kernel updates and external video drivers are usually compiled against a particular kernel.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

Not sure what has happened to this thread, but page 2 seems to have been hijacked to a discussion on video drivers???

I updated my first post on page one of this thread, to report on my purchase of the Edimax N150 and found it not to work properly when using under Mint 17.3
I did get it working ok, by installing the 4.4 kernal.  Update July 22,  today the Edimax is again dropping the internet connection, on the Mint 17 desktop computer. :-(
The Edimax N150 seems to work fine under Windoze 7 and Vista.

See the 2nd post on page one, for more details.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Quote from: ssfc72 on July 21, 2018, 05:40:42 PM
Not sure what has happened to this thread, but page 2 seems to have been hijacked to a discussion on video drivers???

I fixed that by splitting those posts into a new topic on AMD drivers in Linux here:

https://forums.plugintolinux.ca/index.php/topic,576.0.html
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

Ok, I think I have managed to get the Edimax N150 usb wifi dongle to work under Mint 17.3.

I googled the issue and found some help, here:  https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2328635
the user - kurt18947  provided the info needed.

use the command, lsmod , in Terminal, to find out what wifi driver is currently being used and then blacklist this driver.

I then used the install.sh  script, which is found on the Edimax cdrom, under the Linux folder.  I had to make install.sh , executable, to be able to run the script.
This script makes a new driver for the Edimax N150 and it seems to be working well, so far.  No more dropping the wifi connection, after a few minutes of use. :-)
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

fox

Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

ssfc72

No, the desktop computer has to only run Mint 17, because Simple Scan will only work the old Kodak page scanner.
Mint 18 and all other, newer Distros won t work with Simple Scan and the Kodak printer/scanner.