• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Free Online Courses - Lindsay Library

Started by ssfc72, January 11, 2018, 07:58:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

I just noticed that the Lindsay Library web site ( https://www.kawarthalakeslibrary.ca/en/our-collection/online-learning.aspx?_mid_=23149 ) now has free online instructor led courses, through the Gale Courses, service.
You do need to have a Lindsay Library membership.

The Peterborough Library does not appear to offer the Gale Courses, service.

The Technology offering looks very good and extensive.  There are several courses for Certificate Prep.

Update - Upon further browsing of the Lindsay Library, Online Learning section, I found another Online Learning service,  GCF.  They have Linux Mint Resources and Ubuntu Resources.

Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Very cool, Bill! If you take a course let me know how it goes? Wondering if they provide actual instructor support.

You can take tonnes of free courses online (non-accredited) but the support comes from the other students usually, though in the courses I've taken, they were so well done, I rarely needed it. They had thousands of students so no way the instructor could answer questions directly. I've taken three paid courses through Udemy now (about $10-15 each) and two of them had the instructor directly responding to questions, one had a person who wasn't the instructor that did the lectures but was still there to answer questions about course material, I guess like a TA would.

But with these Gale Courses being free and if the instructor is able to answer queries, that'd be amazing. Might be worth paying for a library membership there for the access.

The GCG stuff looks more basic but still useful (more like articles than courses). And cool to see Linux stuff in there.

Thanks for sharing.

* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13