• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Meltdown and Spectre website

Started by Jason, January 11, 2018, 09:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

Didn't realize these nasties had their own website!

https://meltdownattack.com/

Most of it is technical but the Q & A is more accessible to everybody and I found this interesting tidbit:

QuoteWhy is it called Spectre?

The name is based on the root cause, speculative execution. As it is not easy to fix, it will haunt us for quite some time.

I'm guessing every program that was ever written that used speculative execution has to have those lines fixed or at least run through a compiler that removes those instructions. But that's just a guess.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

From the James Bonds novels we know that Spectre means

SPecial Executive for Counterintelligence, Terrorism, Revenge and Extortion.

Of course, those of us who were in the Secret Service know this from the first week of our training.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

I didn't think you could mention that you were in the secret service if you were in the secret service. :)
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

ssfc72

This banter reminds me of the comedian George Carlin.  :-)
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

BANTER: "Supple term used to describe activities or chat that is playful, intelligent and original. Banter is something you either posses or lack, there is no middle ground. It is also something inherently English, stemming as it does from traditional hi-jinks and tomfoolery of British yesteryear."    ( From the Urban Dictionary. )

Banter is not a word thrown about much anymore more.

Jason

Though it might be somewhat accurate in this case, Urban Dictionary isn't meant to be taken seriously. But then again, neither is banter, so I guess it's totally appropriate.

It's like Wikipedia without the quality control. For example, this can be found in Urban Dictionary. Pardon the language, but I think we're adults here:

QuoteShithole

Trump’s mouth, often a place from whence great amounts of shit spews.

I see Trump’s shithole is at it on Twitter again.

#shithole #shit-hole

Okay, bad example, admittedly, in that it's true, but you'd never find that in a real dictionary :)

Jason

Quote from: ssfc72 on January 12, 2018, 01:12:09 AM
This banter reminds me of the comedian George Carlin.  :-)

Btw, love that you compared us to George Carlin. One of the greats!

buster

I mostly wished to point out that the word 'banter' is rarely used anymore in Canada, and is in fact written or spoken in North America only once every 22.5 hours. (However in England it is used 412 times every single day, on average of course.)

Jason

Sorry for my belated response, but you are quite the wordsmith, Buster! Thanks for that tidbit. It's quite interesting even if you took over the thread with it. :)