• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!! qBittorent locked

Started by muddled, July 08, 2016, 12:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muddled

Been having internet issues. Was down to 0.47 mbps last night, so finally got nex to give me a new modem.
The real problem is now I'm trying to download a torrent with qBittorrent and suddenly tells me it's locked. WTF?? I didn't realize it could be locked. Did some research and found the following instructions, but I've been struck stupid (or the stupidity continues unabated) and can't seem to make it work or maybe it doesn't apply to mint 17.2. HEEEEEEEELLLLPPP!!!.

After you open the Terminal, type: "ls -a"

Check if you have a ".config" there.
If you do, type: "cd .config". gz, you just went into the config folder.

Again, "ls -a".
See if you have qBittorrent with any kind of name in there.

Then go into that folder again, with "cd foldername".

Jason

I assume they mean that qBittorrent is locked, not the torrent. That usually means the program crashed or was otherwise exited improperly and there is a lock file. The lock file is meant to prevent you from running the program more than once at the same time.

The reason the cd command didn't work is that you made a spelling mistake (in both cases). Here's a tip to avoid that, type the beginning of the name (after the cd command, of course), say qB and then hit <tab>. It will autocomplete the directory name for you.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

muddled

Thanks for the reply Jason. As usual my typo infected fingers betray me.
I tried cd qBittorrent......... cd: qBittorrent: No such file or directory

I'm obviously missing something really simple, but it has me stymied.

Jason

Did you try the autocomplete? It's definitely cd directoryname, not cd:
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

muddled

Once again thanks for your response.
typed

cd qBittorrent   no luck.
typed

cd qB   hit tab, no response of any sort

I've had issues with this install since day one. Too many to go into, but a couple made even made Bob's eyebrows go up.   lol
I think that installing Mint with only legacy activated might correct all problems, but qBit locking like this was certainly a surprise.

Jason

Weird that you'd get no response, assuming you're in the .config directory, because it's listed right there. I'm going to install qBittorrent and crash it purposely to see if I can find the file directly for you.

Jason

Can you do a screenshot of the error message you get?

Jason

muddled

As usual I find nothing that looks like what others describe. Which is frustrating as I realize you're trying to help. As you can see in the pic, the only "web" reference isn't enabled. Thanks once again Jason for your time.

Jason

I don't mind helping - if I can. I realize it's possible I might not be able to, though, but let's try a few more things.

Have you tried removing it and reinstalling it? But before you do that, you might want to try this:

https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/wiki/Frequently-Asked-Questions#How_can_I_reset_the_settings_to_default_values

Follow the link to where the preferences are stored. Note when you follow it for Linux, there is also a place where .torrent files are stored and I noticed in there a lock.session file on my system. So, to be safe, I'd wipe out all the files in BOTH of these folders. When you restart qBittorrent, it will recreate what it needs to work. You will lose any special changes you made in its configuration but it should fix things.

buster

What about reinstalling qTorrent? And while you're at it, get rid of it and install Deluge instead? :)
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

muddled

Thanks for the suggestions and help guys. It's appreciated. The solution as I suspected was to reinstall mint but without eufi disabled this time.
Thanks again.

Jason

Very odd. I can understand that the install might have gone wrong but I don't see what UEFI has to do with it. Well, hope it keeps working for you.

muddled

Sorry, my typo infected fingers again.
The solution as I suspected was to reinstall mint but without eufi disabled this time.
Should be
The solution as I suspected was to reinstall mint but WITH eufi disabled this time.
I'm not sure exactly what the conflict was or if it was just a HP quirk, but the O/S did weird things with thumb drives and a couple of other things.
Again thanks for the help and suggestions.

fox

I wonder if this problem isn't related to the one I had on my Dell xps13, where wifi doesn't work with secure boot enabled?
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13