• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Acer 11.6" notebook not charging the battery :-( :-(

Started by ssfc72, July 06, 2016, 03:08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

Just noticed this today.
The battery charging icon says the battery is being charged (the charging led is also showing charging to be taking place)   but the battery icon never does show the battery charge capcity to be increasing.

Same thing occurs when I put in the original battery and try to charge it.

The charger is putting out a full 19V to the charger plug.

Looks like the internal notebook charging circuit is not working.  Sigh!!!!

I can run from the power supply, without the battery in the notebook.

Now I have to waste a lot of time, seeing if I can identify the charging circuit problem area, in order to fix the problem. :-(
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

"but the battery icon never does show the battery charge capcity to be increasing."

Is it possible the battery is charging but the indicator is not working? Any way to see if the battery is the same strength or is gaining?
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

ssfc72

I booted up both Mint 17.3 and Win7 and on both OS, the battery icon showed charging but the level of the battery charge never shows it to be increasing.

I probably could check the voltage on the battery terminals, to see how far it is down from the rated 11V.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

fox

Try the app, batmon on Mint. It will give you information on the state of the battery, including original and present capacity. If the battery itself is bad, it should show a low % of full capacity.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

ssfc72

with the battery out of the notebook and the power supply pluged into the notebook, I checked the voltage at the battery pins, on the notebook.
Got a reading of 0.7 mV, so yes the charging circuit has failed.

There should be a very tiny surface mount fuse in the circuit, so I will take the notebook apart and look for that part, and check it with the volt meter.  Hopefully it is only a blown fuse.
I don't think these fuses are readily available unless you take one off another old motherboard.  I will probably just jumper the fuse.

fox

I'm sure Bob would have one of these fuses in his extensive collection of "parts".
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

ssfc72

Got the Acer torn to bits.
Doesn't look promising, to find the charging circuit fault.
I can't see anything that looks like a small surface mount chip fuse, as was shown in a picture on one of the posts I found on the internet.

I can't even trace the circuit from the notebook power jack to the battery terminals, because the traces are not visible.  :-(  Probably a dual layer circuit board.

A new circuit board seems to be around over $100 USD on Ebay, so that is not an option.

I found a circuit diagram which is for the motherboard that I have. Not sure though, since it appears to show more terminals for the battery connector, than what is actually there.
None of the components have a value shown, so that is not much help, either.

Looks like I will just button the notebook back up and run it off hydro from now on, :-(