• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Linux Journal ceases publication

Started by fox, December 02, 2017, 03:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

I wasn't a subscriber, but it's always sad to a Linux publication go under. (Linux Voice went under about a year ago and I did subscribe to it.) Here is the official announcement. The comments suggested that its supporters are not happy to see it go quietly, and one in particular (Matt Hartley of Linux Action Show fame) wants to work with the publisher to keep it going.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

And they're probably the longest running Linux magazine, as well. I think that the internet is really tearing up the magazine industry, especially technology and has been for a number of years. Print advertising has been lost to internet advertising which pays only pennies on the dollar of print advertising. Let's face it, how many of us actually subscribe to any technology magazine? I know a number of people pick up issues on a regular basis of a magazine or two but publishers can't depend on that, they need subscriptions.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

When Linux Voice stopped publication, they made an arrangement with Linux Magazine to have a section in it that their writers would do. They also made an arrangement to transfer the remaining subscription time to Linux Magazine. I don't like it as much as Linux Voice, but there's enough of interest in it for me that I subscribed to Linux Magazine when my free issues ran out. Incidentally, I don't think that Linux Voice went under because of money; I think their issue was that it was too much work for the 4 or 5 guys who were writing all the articles and when the editor stepped down, no one wanted to replace him. But that's the exception, not the rule.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Update here about Linux Journal being bought by London Trust Media. At least it will continue publishing thought it will be interesting to see if the format changes. I believe that Linux Journal was the last of the American published Linux magazines still in existence. The other Linux magazines seem to be from the UK and look very good, I admit although quite expensive (I assume because of shipping?).
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13