• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Raspberry Pi 3 remote usb webcam - help!

Started by ssfc72, November 25, 2017, 09:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

OK, I am trying to use my RPi with a usb webcam attached and view the webcam video output via wifi, on a local network computer monitor.

The following tutorial is what I am following.
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-Raspberry-Pi-Webcam-Server-and-Stream-/

I am stuck at using Putty on my Windows 10 notebook. Putty complains of a network error when I type in the IP address of the RPi. Putty should connect to the RPi, running Raspbian, and after putting in the Pi's user name and password, I should get connected to the Pi, but I can't get that far.

In Putty, along with putting in the RPi IP address, the default Port is 22.
I am wondering if the port number is not the correct one??

I have been unable to figure out how to find which port my RPi is using.

Anyone there who can see what I am doing wrong?

Note - I have the RPi wireless connected to my Local network and Raspbian (Jessie, I believe) can connect to the internet using its Browser.
Note 2 - The software program used for capturing movement in the video, from a webcam/ip camera etc, is called Motion.  It appears to work quite well.

Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Are you able to login via SSH locally? That is, can you hook up a monitor and keyboard to the RPi and run this command successfully on it?

ssh localhost

It should ask for your password and enter it so you can log in. Type exit to disconnect from the local server.

That will confirm that the ssh server is running correctly. And yes, that is the correct port number.

Also, make sure (after doing the above check) that RPI isn't running a firewall of some sort. If so, you either have to turn it off or set to allow incoming connections to port 22.

* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

Thanks Jason!  I can now ssh into my RPi. :-)

In Raspbian, there was a menu of Services that could be toggled on or off.  The SSH was defaulted to Off, so I toggled it on and then I was able to SSH, using Putty, from my Win 10 notebook.

Now I can try and install the Motion software, on Raspbian, so that the usb webcam will stream the video and I can view it on my Win 10 notebook.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

Jason

i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

ssfc72

During the install of the video movement capturing program, Motion, I got a few command line complaints.
However, when I used my browser to view the video from the webcam, everything worked fine.

Jason

Did you recall if they were listed as WARNING or ERROR beside the messages, usually in all-caps? WARNINGs are often just about deprecated code that still works but the warning is given because upcoming versions of the libraries or built-in functions in the future might not support the code. That's more for the developers to worry about. If it's an ERROR, that could be an actual problem. In other words, if it works, don't worry about :-)