• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

OpenOffice vs. LibreOffice (ZDnet article)

Started by Jason, October 22, 2017, 01:34:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

I discovered this article recently though it was published last year, entitled "​OpenOffice is dead. Long live LibreOffice". I was curious how OpenOffice was doing especially since most distros have dropped it as their default office suite. The article talks about this a bit as well as the history of OpenOffice and LibreOffice.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/openoffice-is-dead-long-live-libreoffice/

After reading this article, do you think there should still be two office suites or should Apache abandon the OpenOffice project and direct users toward LibreOffice?

* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

Jason

There's also an advantage that LibreOffice has in licensing. Because OpenOffice uses the permissive Apache license, it can't bring in code from LibreOffice which has a copyleft license, but LibreOffice can take any code that OpenOffice uses. This means LibreOffice can use any OpenOffice improvements but not the other way around.

This article mentions some of the feature differences between the two suites:
https://www.cioreview.com/news/openoffice-vs-libreoffice-a-comparison-of-the-twins-nid-15481-cid-92.html
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

What is a copyleft license? :-)

OK, from the article Link - Copyleft licenses allow anyone to use an open source code, but anything that is derived from it is bound by the same terms.

Since Linux Distros, that include Office suites, now choose LibreOffice, I think OpenOffice has probably very few users, left.  I don't think it matters, if Apache wants to continue making OpenOffice available.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service