• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Best Linux Distro as a Guest in a Win 10 System

Started by buster, September 30, 2017, 12:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

Over the last two days I have had a malfunction or a freeze under heavy use of Elementary

Many many features I like. But for some reason, which I attribute to poor memory usage by the distro, it clogs up. Very odd because it's so closely related to the other Ubuntu children, and they seem fine. Could be a quirk with VMWare and this distro. If it's a quirk with VMWare, nothing really matters. If it's a young distro's uncorrected minor flaw, that is serious.

It also seems to occur when dragging and dropping to Win10. But none of the other virtual machines I have react the same way.

Ah well.

Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

I'd be willing to cobble together something but I think it's be a lot cooler if Buster did it even if just to outline the problems he has with it. Not every presentation has to make out that a distribution is great. It's good to know what to avoid as well.

Or Buster could do his thoughts on elementary and I could do mine and then members can draw their own conclusions. I'm not sure. What do you think Buster?

Or just showing how to use VMware (Buster) and Virtualbox (me) using whatever distros we want as examples. It's pretty easy though.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

Jason

Buster wrote me back. I have to talk to Bob to check in case he already had something planned and to get the go-ahead. Otherwise, we'll coordinate a co-presentation on elementary OS in a virtual machine (specifically VirtualBox to demo, vmware differences to be discussed) and, time permitting, plank, updates and VM extensions. I'll use my laptop unless Buster has more RAM on his, but we'll both talk about what we like and don't like about elementary and our experiences. Should make for a thought-provoking night!
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

buster

Best distro as a guest in win10 has consistently been Mint 18.3 Cinnamon. Have finally wiped the others. I suspect they have a crew at Mint that works on the virtual machine aspects of the distro. Consistently good as a virtual machine and it's interactions with Microsoft.

So there you have it: VMWare plus Mint equals satisfaction. For now - case closed.

ssfc72

Thanks for your latest results on running a linux Distro, as a guest on a Win 10 box, Buster!
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

I think that Ubuntu works pretty hard to make sure their distro works well on VMs. I think that because offer support contracts for virtual desktop/server instances of Ubuntu. Mint may be benefiting from that work. Or it could be a result of VMware working hard to make sure they offer packages to work with one of the most popular Linux versions.

buster

No doubt Canonical does work on vm excellence, however, I suspect Mint does more.

Because of the release of 18.04 Ubuntu, I put into virtual plain Ubuntu, Ubuntu Mate, and Beta Lite, all based on 18.04. So which worked best with Win10? Come on, take a guess...

Ubuntu Mate is gone already. Besides needed a totally unexpected slew of updates, my install found it hard to co-operate with Win 10. Ubuntu is going next. I think it needs another cup of coffee or something. Sluggish is a kind way of saying it. And drag and drop with Win10/Ubuntu was often dodgy.

But Linux Lite Beta works a charm. Took a bit for it to settle in. But it's quick and friendly with Microsoft.

In comparison, Mint always works with the vm host. I suspect Mint sees virtual as a way to pull in even more desktop users. Been my experience anyway.

buster

This is an old, old thread, but I thought I would update it anyways - at least my opinion of what is best, since it has changed over time.

At the present moment, using vmware in Win10, for Buster, the very best choice is Kubuntu 20.04.

The very worst cholice is Buzladomp 17.8920005. (Curious to know if anyone else found this one totally inadequate as well.)

Jason

Quote from: buster on September 28, 2020, 05:12:39 PM
The very worst cholice is Buzladomp 17.8920005. (Curious to know if anyone else found this one totally inadequate as well.)

Is this a test to determine how alert we are? Or are you trying to lead us down a dead-end path?

ssfc72

I liked version 17.8920007. :-)

Quote from: buster on September 28, 2020, 05:12:39 PM
This is an old, old thread, but I thought I would update it anyways - at least my opinion of what is best, since it has changed over time.

At the present moment, using vmware in Win10, for Buster, the very best choice is Kubuntu 20.04.

Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

"I liked version 17.8920007"

I should in all fairness give this a try. But my last experience was so disappointing. The rebooting every 13 minutes was the most astonishing. Apparently from the forums this has been corrected.

Maybe you could give a review Bill. Or just write an email and I'll start a new thread with your findings.

Jason

I'm going to wait for the final release 18.1337 particularly as the developers behind it are the Corps D'elite of the Linux community. It should be the first-of-the-class in Linux distributions. You'll have no reason to even consider anything else. 2021 be the year that Linux will make it on the desktop.

You get points if you know what the point release above actually means although I've hinted at it. And you can use those points to trade in for bars of gold-pressed latnum which is a smart investment nowadays.

kalabaster

MACbook Pro 1501, Catalina| ASUS ROG Crosshair AMD PCLinux | HP AIO Elite, Win 10 Pro| HP Folio 14, Win 10 Pro| ASUS M32CD, PCLinux/Trinity

Jason

Quote from: kalabaster on April 20, 2021, 05:57:03 PM
Anyone diddling with " ReactOS " ?

"Diddling?" Does your wife know you do that with OSes, Kalabaster? But no, I haven't tried it. If it's Linux-related, it'd make a good post in the distros board under Linux-related. If it's not, you could post about in the general discussion area.

buster

Would like to add Quark as a viable option for a virtual machine in Windows. A build by Q4OS using a Plasma Desktop, and it is camouflaged as a Win10. Surprisingly quick and stable. Have used it for a few weeks now. Seems quicker than Kubuntu, though very similar. Worth a try.

And here's a picture of the default desktop: