• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Star Trek Discovery series! Ya!

Started by buster, September 24, 2017, 06:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

Start's tonight on CTV in hi-def. Looks as if it's going to be a good s/f series!

(Today is Sunday the 24th for people who don't quite know these things.)
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

The trailer I saw for this looked good. But who I am kidding? It's Star Trek. It's not like I'm not going to watch each and every episode regardless :)

Two other sci-fi series has started too, the first a couple of weeks ago, The Orville. It's like Star Trek: TNG but with jokes. My wife and I both like it, which has had three episodes so far. It's light-hearted but dealt with a serious ethical story on episode three.

And Electric Dreams, a British anthology show based on Philip K. Dick's short stories. That's had two episodes but haven't seen either yet.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

Jason

What have you thought about Star Trek Discovery so far, Buster? A bit darker than other Star Trek series but the most recent episode was quite a surprise. High production values, evidently they spent about $6 million+ on each episode.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

buster

Sorry to say after starting the thread, I haven't watched any.

But, I am an ORVILLIAN. Many tributes to the original series that are fairly subtle, such as a cave with a flat floor. I thought that was pretty funny. Astonishing to me that the original critics who panned it, didn't have a clue what the show was doing half the time. Maybe it's a generational thing. But it has a big following.

Story ideas seem very much like the original. The main theme of any show could have come right out of the old series - truth decided by majority, a society drifting in space that has forgotten where andwhat it is, the effect of pheromones.

Lots of fun.

Jason

Tsk, tsk. You have to watch more of it :) But yes, there are a lot of references not to just the original series, but many of the series, even though is clearly a different time line than the other Star Treks.

I'm familiar with George Orwell (who isn't) but wasn't familiar with a person calling themselves Orwellian. And it looks like the word is used in many different ways. How do you mean it?

buster

"wasn't familiar with a person calling themselves Orwellian" That was a mistake. Meant to type Orvillian. So all my comments refer to The Orville, not Star Trek: Discovery. Sorry.

An Orvillian is an honourary (but not actual) member of the crew of The Orville.

Jason

Oh, okay, that makes more sense.

Btw, you might find it interesting that the captain of the Orville, played by Seth MacFarlane (also created by him) has also funded the entire reboot of the Cosmos series. He's more known for being the creator of Family Guy and other mature animated series. He actually entirely funded Cosmos because he feels that he has contributed to the dumbing down of American society so wanted to participate in raising the intelligence of it. Cosmos is coming back again in 2019.