• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

$200 11" HP Chromebook, 12.5 hr battery life

Started by ssfc72, June 30, 2016, 05:54:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Everything but the 16 GB drive sounds reasonable, especially given the price. That size of drive, though, really limits what you can do with it unless you're content keeping your data in the cloud or don't really plan on producing anything with it (i.e. pure net device). It's cool there is the touch option though and the hope of running Android apps later.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

$189US is approx $260Can I think. + tax. Not sure it's worth the savings in capital costs. If the life expectancy is 4 years, it might be worth  spending $200 more originally and get a better laptop for about one dollar a week more.

Someone might like to check those figures, but i think they're OK.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

fox

Some of these Chromebooks have upgradeable drives. If I were buying a Chromebook I would want it to be able to run Linux and I wouldn't want it to have any less than 32 gb internal storage.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

William Park

Quote from: ssfc72 on June 30, 2016, 05:54:48 PM
Looks interesting!

http://blogs.canoe.com/canoetech/gadgets/sub-200-hp-chromebook-android-app-friendly-boasts-12-5-hour-battery/

Where's the images?  Anyways, I have HP Chromebook 11 G3 ($200 Canada Computers), and I chose it over Lenovo N21 because HP was heavier, stiffer, and longer key travel.  I don't want flaky crap with floating sponge keyboard.  You can install one of old Ubuntu/Debian in chroot.  Currently, I have Kubuntu installed.  It's good for online stuffs, and disposable Linux environment.  Chrome OS is Linux and comes with common command line utilities.  If it doesn't have something, you can switch to Ubuntu and "apt-get" whatever.

In order to use it as "main" Linux machine, though, you need fast external storage.  This means USB3, because it doesn't have a real RJ45 ethernet.  It has 4GB ram, which is on par with other low-end laptop.  Its 16GB eMMC is enough for root filesystem.  Everything else has to be external.

ssfc72

William, what was the battery life of your HP Chromebook, when new?

The main thing that got my attention, other than the $200 price, was the 12.5 hr battery life!

Also the weight of only 2.5 lbs is very nice, along with the 11.6" size
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

William Park

I used 8 hours continuously during few workshops I attended, and it still had 50% charge.