• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

NAND to Tetris Course: Free on Coursera

Started by Jason, September 16, 2017, 11:47:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

Some members might be interested in this course that is aimed at understanding how computers work at the hardware level. It's expected to be challenging and you can't get help directly from the professor but you can from fellow students. The next session starts on September 25, 2017. The course is free unless you want a certificate. This course is also self-paced though they suggest you can do it in 7 or 8 weeks. Here's the intro:

QuoteThe Nand to Tetris course takes you on a self-paced fascinating voyage of discovery in which you will go all the way from Boolean algebra and elementary logic gates to building a Central Processing Unit, a memory system, and a hardware platform, leading up to a general-purpose computer that can run any program that you fancy. In the process of building this computer, you will become familiar with many important hardware abstractions, and you will implement them, hands on. But most of all, you will enjoy the tremendous thrill of building a complex and useful system from the ground up.

More details and signup can be found here.

There's also a TED talk on this course.

I've already enrolled and I hope some will join me :)
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

Looks interesting. I would take this if I was retired or in my non-teaching term.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

bobf

I hope you're out tonight, Jason, so you can fill me in on the details. I'd like to get something new going on... (But I already know how RAM latches strobes...)

Bob. <^8#