• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Amateur Radio Logging program, N1MM

Started by ssfc72, August 22, 2017, 06:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

Amateur Radio operators usually use computer Logging programs, when they are participating in contests that aim to see who can make the most contacts with other Amateur operators.
The computer Logging programs are a very useful aid in recording information about the Amateur contacts you make and help prevent making duplicate contacts.
The Logging programs can be quite complex in how they operate.

One of the more popular Logging programs is named, N1MM ( after the Amateur's callsign, who developed the computer program).

For the solar eclipse Ham radio contest during yesterdays eclipse, N1MM had a Log specific, to operating this contest.   The Log was designed with Fields/entries that were unique to recording information for the Eclipse Amateur contacts.

Unfortunately N1MM is a Windows OS, only program. :-(   Apparently N1MM does not work properly under Linux, using WINE.

However, the CodeWeavers Crossover Linux software did support the use of the N1MM, program.

I downloaded a 7 day trial version of CrossOver Linux and it successfully let me install N1MM on my Linux Mint 18 notebook computer.
I am very much unfamiliar with Amateur Radio Logging programs  but from my very limited time with N1MM, it seemed to function properly, while running under Crossover Linux.

N1MM is unusual in that you first download and install the main program and then you have to go back and download and install the updates software, before using the program.

Crossover Linux went through quite a lot of routines, and took awhile, before it finally got N1MM installed.       

To install N1MM on your Linux box, go to the CodeWeavers website and do a search for N1MM.  This should bring up the CodeWeavers page for the N1MM program.

Bill
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

bobf

Wow! That sounds really great, Bill, & an awful lot of work! I know there's also PlayOnLinux, which I have not attempted to use, but may be of use, or may just be targeted at gaming... Have you tried it? And I believe there's one more option I cannot remember the name of, but again, a possibility?

Dave VE3SD was talking about that just the other day!! I would really like to see it run, especially on something other than a paid version of Linux, I'm sure you'd agree. Maybe if we put our heads together, we can put together a demo of the N1MM software at the next meeting, with a rig and antenna mounted temporarily outside!

Bob. <^8#

fox

I have used both Crossover and Playonlinux extensively; mainly to get the most recent as possible versions of MS Office working without using a virtual machine. Although Crossover is a paid app, you can usually find it for $US30 on sale, and it is worth it for Windows apps you can't get running any other way. The company behind it, Codeweavers, is also worthy of support. They contribute heavily to Wine development. Playonlinux is a good app as well, but it isn't updated nearly as frequently as Crossover. In my case, support for MS Office 2013 is lagging in all three (including bare Wine), but with Crossover I was at least able to install and run it (though not well enough to use it in place of Office 2010, which works almost perfectly on any of the three).
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Weird that I only saw your post just now, Bill. I was sure I had checked for new posts before and this never showed up. I'm curious what the program is written in. I'm guessing it's probably C# or something since it only runs in Windows. Good info anyway, thanks for sharing.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

No, I wasn't aware of the PlayOnLinux software. I might give it a try.
My 1 week trial of CrossOverLinux has run out, so I would have to purchase the software, if I was to demo it and N1MM.

Bill

Quote from: bobf on September 05, 2017, 04:20:39 AM
Wow! That sounds really great, Bill, & an awful lot of work! I know there's also PlayOnLinux, which I have not attempted to use, but may be of use, or may just be targeted at gaming... Have you tried it? And I believe there's one more option I cannot remember the name of, but again, a possibility?

Dave VE3SD was talking about that just the other day!! I would really like to see it run, especially on something other than a paid version of Linux, I'm sure you'd agree. Maybe if we put our heads together, we can put together a demo of the N1MM software at the next meeting, with a rig and antenna mounted temporarily outside!

Bob. <^8#
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service