• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Canadian Mint has some nifty new design coins for sale

Started by ssfc72, June 23, 2016, 10:20:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

The Canadian Mint has some new design, $20 Silver coins that can be bought for $20.
This is a pretty good buy, since most of the Can Mint coins cost a great deal more, to buy, then what the denomination is or the what the worth of the metal used to make the coin is valued at.

Here is a Link to the coins:  http://www.mint.ca/store/product/rcmcoins.jsp?campaignName=20for20BatmanVSuperman&pId=4600022&lang=en_CA&rcmeid=atgm_TRANS_BMvsSM_Apr_2016

http://www.mint.ca/store/coins/coin-prod2680032?lang=en_CA&rcmiid=ban|homepage|carousel|storecoinscoin-prod2680032langenCA&#.V2vwYP8XDVM

One $20 Silver coin commemorates the 50 anniversary of the original Star Trek TV series. The coin has a nice relief of the Star Trek Enterprise starship.

Another $20 Silver coin has a nice Batman vs Superman Dawn of Justice relief, on the coin face.

Only so many coins of each design have been minted and there is a limit of 5 coins per household that the Mint will sell to.

While these coins are stamped as $20 valuation, I believe these coins are non-circulating coins, which means you can't use them as money to buy something, but you are supposed to be able to go to a Canadian Bank and they will get the $20 circulating cash, for you, from the Bank of Canada.

Typically, these $20 Silver coins will sell for slightly more than their face value, on the open coin collector market.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Didn't know about the Star Trek one! Thanks for letting us know. For stamp collectors, the post office has is selling Star Trek stamps and other collector items, too:

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/home.page
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

I finally received my $20 Star Trek coin, in the mail.  :-)  Took a long time to get to me.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

ssfc72

Looks Ok.  Has a nice image of the starship, firing 2 phasers and an image of the Delta Shield Shield Insignia on the one side.
The other side has an ugly picture of the Queen.

For $109, you can get a $20 colour starship coin or for $1,299.95 you can get a pure gold $200 Startrek Delta Shield Insignia, shaped coin. :-)