• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Make a videogame in August

Started by buster, July 20, 2017, 12:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

PTBO Game Jam takes place for the 3rd time in Peterborough. Some of you might enjoy this very much. Got the info from the local paper and their web site:

From the Examiner:

PTBO Game Jam 03 is happening Aug. 4 to 6 at Fleming College's Sutherland Campus on Brealey Drive.

It's designed for game lovers to test their hand at creating their own game, building it from the ground up.

Matthew Davey, founder of dotBunny, a game-development studio in Peterborough, launched the city's first game jam in April 2016.

The inaugural event drew about 45 interested residents, with 17 people building games overall at the Holiday Inn  Peterborough Waterfront.

Then Davey moved the second jam to Fleming's Kawartha Trades and Technology Centre in February. That event drew 155 people, with 80 participants in total.

Davey said he hopes to see that number continue to grow going forward.

"I'm hopeful that  Peterborough will produce a thriving video game industry at some point," he said.

And PTBO Game Jam is there to help game enthusiasts get to that point.

The free event starts off with Educational Blocks on Aug. 5. There's one for youth and one for adults.

The education session teach participants the basics, instructing them on how to use game creation toolsets, before making a simple game in the end.

That base knowledge is then applied the next day, when the main event gets underway on Aug. 5 at 9 a.m. The jam wraps up at 5 p.m. on Aug. 6.

Davey encourages anyone who's ever wanted to learn how to build a game to come out and just do it.

"We're going to go from zero to hero and we're going to get you to that point where you feel comfortable making a game. Your first game isn't going to be some amazing game, but it's still a game and you're going to build on that."

NOTE: Admission to PTBO Game Jam 03 is free, but pre-registration is required. Visit https://ptbogamejam03.eventbrite.ca/ for more information.

And also their web site might have more:

http://ptbogamejam.com/event/schedule/#Day3
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

ssfc72

Neat! Thanks for the info, Harry!
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Thanks for telling us about it, Buster!

Looks fun but probably tiring, too. I'm considering it, but honestly not sure I have the stamina! Anybody else thinking of trying it?
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13