• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

ROAD TRIP!

Started by bobf, June 29, 2017, 10:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobf

OK, so I know Mike's not back yet, and I'm in no hurry, but it's REALLY time to get set up for another ROAD TRIP! Yee-HAAA!!

AND THIS TIME, we're *MAKIN'* it to RadioWorld! NEW TOYS!! <^8#

Let's get it organized so that, when Mike gets back, we just have to pick a day! Do we go to Long Branch to the other electronic store we haven't seen yet? Do we check for options in downtown Toronto?? Malton, Mississauga or Milton?!

Inquiring minds are gonna wanna know! <^8#

William Park

I need new GPS, and RadioWorld has GPS on sale. :-)

Scott

Heya Bob! How did field day go?

bobf

Very well, but it ended about 2 hours early, when the storm and lightning rolled in! Ken was doing CW like gangbusters with function keys set up to send Morse code strings, so by 8pm'ish Saturday night, they'd had some 777 contacts already. What the distribution was by band I don't know, but they should be posting the numbers on the PARC website, shouldn't they?

Also, two (three?) of my classmates decided to do their exam down there, and two of them passed, one with honours, and the other, having got 78% (down from 79% with a count error - it couldn't go the OTHER way, right?! <^8#) showed up Monday night, rewrote it, and got Honours as well! So all in all, 3 of 6 passed, all with Honours!

All in all, a very cool field day! <^8#

Jason

Is this an amateur radio supply run? Or will there be a computer store involved, too?
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

I think the intent is to again, stop at Creatron and perhaps another computer store and RadioWorld.  Which computer store would you like to visit, Jason?

At the July 17 Monday Mug, we will be discussing what day and what places to visit,

Bill
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

I didn't have one in mind. But honestly, I don't have any income to spare right now. It's not much fun just looking. Unless you guys were thinking of the end of July (27th on) or August. Then I could probably pick up a Raspberry Pi or something similar.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

bobf

OK, so here's the latest skinny. Bill, Glen & I were chatting at last night's Mug, and this week's basically out, with stuff to take care of... well, on all fronts, most likely. Rob found himself diverted, I believe, but we're all focusing on next week's opportunity. Now, I'm in on the Friday to the doctor, so that's out. Jason needs the 27th - the Thursday. Bill & Glen can probably accommodate that - let's see what their schedules hold in store.

I'd like to say, tentatively, Thursday the 27th. Is the 27th OK for you, Jason, or need it be AFTER the 27th? We could put it off to the following week, if need be, to get everyone on the same page.

And as an aside, yes, it'll be a multidisciplinary road trip, but Bill got ripped off last time, when we got to RadioWorld at 3pm, to find out it closed at 2pm. THAT SUCKS! And Rob wants stuff from there, and with my new certification, *I* want stuff from there, so yes, it's DEFINITELY going to be an Amateur Radio ROAD TRIP! Couldn't NOT be! But there's also stuff needed from Creatron, in its new location about a mile east of the old store, still on Sheppard Ave. E., and I wouldn't be surprised if we stop at Sayal Electronics on the way to Creatron, in case something there might be of interest to somebody. So, it's also an ELECTRONICS road trip! But just up the road from Creatron et al is the flagship Markham-Unionville Canada Computers store Stefan wants another crack at, but folks, he's MOVING AGAIN, on the 1st of August, so *IF* the road trip hasn't happened by then, I know another intrepid soul who's likely to join us! So... It's an AMATEUR RADIO, ELECTRONICS, COMPUTER STUFF road trip, and ANYTHING ELSE we decide is relevant to the day!

I do think, however, with that many places to attend, that it would probably be best to postpone the Hwy 427/A1 Electronics store leg of the trip for another day... It's good that all those other places are in at least closer proximity, and with so many wanting so many things, rather than just exploring, it'd end up to be a VERY LONG DAY! And what would we do without another place to invade - I mean, descend upon with so many geeks in one flotilla?! <^8#

See you in the funny papers! <^8#

Jason

The 27th itself or any day after the 27th would be fine for me. I wonder if any of the electronics stores have magazines or books? I'd like to get back involved with electronics. Looks like Creatron has arduinos and raspberry pis, etc so that'd be fine by me, too.

ssfc72

Thursday 27 july, would be fine with me.

If Rob can make the road trip, we probably should keep the trip, not too long, so that Rob doesn't get worn out.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

fox

I'm more on the computer than the electronics side, and there isn't even anything I need in a computer store at the moment (though I'm always up for looking). So I'm a "maybe" for the upcoming trip, whatever date you make it.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

bobf

OK... Major update! <^8#

The radio guys bailed and did a major run into Toronto last Friday! Rob, Bill, Glen & I did the run to RadioWorld, Creatron (which has moved, and is slightly smaller, but substantially unchanged) and Durham Radio. I believe we got most or all of the radio stuff out of our system, and can concentrate more on computer hardware/software/toys, etc., at places like Creatron & Sayal Electronics, along with Canada Computers...

If possible, those of us who want(ed) the more mainstream tour should gather AT A MUG, so we can hammer out the details of our itinerary. I can't stress it enough, if you're into the road trip, be into PLUG MUG this approaching Monday evening, at the usual place, of course!

See you there! <^8#

ssfc72

Sounds good!  I will be see you quys, at the Mug.

ssfc72

Sooo!  Any plans for a computer store, road trip, after The Mug get together, last Monday??

bobf

Well, YEAH! <^8# It's only a matter of picking a day, probably a Saturday morning/afternoon... How is everyone with Saturday, the 19th of August?